Tell me about 12-String Guitars

Yea. The Godin is intriguing from a “it’s small like an electric but sounds like an acoustic” perspective.

The T5 is unfortunately out of my price range.
The T5 is more than I want to spend at the moment, too. I hadn't heard of the Godin 12-string, I'll have to check that out.

Any of them the 200-series? There's a 254CE for around my price range on Reverb.

Edit: actually, that 245CE brand new from Sweetwater is the same price so I'd just get it from there. There's a comment on the Sweetwater site that concerns me:

That's weird to have to do that.
Tuning down a twelve string is common and recommend, both from a tonal standpoint, improved playability, and imo most importantly, the health of the instrument. Pretty much every twelve string acoustic guitar gets a bulging top to some degree, and many have bridge and bridge plate issues as well. That's a whole lot of string tension trying to rip apart some very thin pieces of wood. Something has to give, so dropping the tuning down a half step or more is pretty much standard operating procedure.

Tuning down a twelve string is common and recommend, both from a tonal standpoint, improved playability, and imo most importantly, the health of the instrument. Pretty much every twelve string acoustic guitar gets a bulging top to some degree, and many have bridge and bridge plate issues as well. That's a whole lot of string tension trying to rip apart some very thin pieces of wood. Something has to give, so dropping the tuning down a half step or more is pretty much standard operating procedure.
I was thinking that might be the reason. I actually went and dropped the tuning on my 12 string down a step. But wouldn't just dropping the string gauge down 1 size be a good solution as well? Then adjust the truss rod, and if that's not enough, replace the nut and/or file the bridge? I'd have to say, my action is higher than I'd like, although that could be due to playing my electrics exclusively for a couple years.

IMHO, best bang for the buck, so to speak, for what you are asking is a Takamine or a Godin. Both make excellent guitars but you don't get gouged just because of the name.
I have been playing Takamine Acosutics for many (4?) decades. I also prefer the ones Made in Japan.
Funny, Made in Japan used to be the Made in China statement when I was growing up.
Yamaha is also another name to consider.
I came here to suggest a Takamine. If you are recording or plugging in live, they are hard to beat. The straight acoustic tone isn't usually anything special, but I'm convinced they have some special sauce in the electronics. You can also pick up a used Tak for a really nice price.

If you can find a used pre-Fender USA built Guild, it was IMO the best twelve string available when I used to sell acoustics for a living. Better than Taylors, Martins, Takamines, Breedloves (when they were a small builder), Collings, on and on... I was particularly enamored with the JF30-12 with the arched maple back. SRV is playing a similar model in the famous Unplugged clip. Being a jumbo, it had enough bottom end to compete with the jangle, but wasn't hollow sounding either. Just amazingly balanced and extremely powerful. I definitely hear everything I liked about those guitars in the SRV clip.

Last edited:
I picked up a used Taylor 12 string last year simply for the fact that I wanted one, Do I play it a lot no not really but like you said it does a thing and when I want that thing I break it out.

IMG-8610-2.jpg

I picked up a used Taylor 12 string last year simply for the fact that I wanted one, Do I play it a lot no not really but like you said it does a thing and when I want that thing I break it out.

IMG-8610-2.jpg
What model is that?

Something too look out for when buying an acoustic is; how much saddle hight is available and is the neck relief right so you can judge?
First fret the low E on the first and last fret so you can see how straight the neck is . You want almost dead level . Now if that is correct look at the action and relate that to how much hight is available to cut down in the bone saddle. In an ideal word about 4mm bone protruding is good. In time particularly with a twelve string the top will pull up slightly and the neck will give slightly and you will need this to compensate. If you don't have this clearance you end up with hardly any hight and no break angle or worse still you need a neck reset. Expensive and a write off for anything other than high end.
Taylor are a big win in this department because of their bolt on neck with tapered shims. It makes their budget guitars a really attractive option even if they sound pretty ordinary.

In time particularly with a twelve string the top will pull up slightly and the neck will give slightly and you will need this to compensate
Yea. My concern with buying used or mail order is not being able to assess how much relief room I’ve got to help it along as it ages. :(

Good note about the Taylor’s.

Ever since I started learning guitar and picked up a 12 string I was in love with the sound. All these years I would love to have one yet I know myself all too well. I'd pick it up and play Hole Hearted by Extreme and then likely Wanted dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. Ah sounds so good, well I'll just rest the guitar back here....6 months later, repeat.

Back
Top Bottom