Tell me about 12-String Guitars

iaresee

Administrator
I think I want to buy an acoustic 12-string. I've always wanted to own one. I'm sure I wouldn't play it that much, but it does a thing and sounds a way that nothing else can do or sound like.

So: help me?

I'd like to spend around USD$1000. I have no problem buying used if it nets me a better instrument in my price range than new would land me. I have smaller hands -- like narrow nut (which I realize is hard to do on a 12-string). And I don't play a ton of acoustic guitar so acoustics that "play more like electrics" appeal to me. I have no strong brand affinity here. Don't need electronics.

What should I be looking at here? Any used deals on older models I should be keeping an eye out for?

Though as I say "I don't need electronics" I'm wondering about the Godin A12 and how that'd work for me. I'll be recording it. Playing it around the house.

I think I want to buy an acoustic 12-string. I've always wanted to own one. I'm sure I wouldn't play it that much, but it does a thing and sounds a way that nothing else can do or sound like.

So: help me?

I'd like to spend around USD$1000. I have no problem buying used if it nets me a better instrument in my price range than new would land me. I have smaller hands -- like narrow nut (which I realize is hard to do on a 12-string). And I don't play a ton of acoustic guitar so acoustics that "play more like electrics" appeal to me. I have no strong brand affinity here. Don't need electronics.

What should I be looking at here? Any used deals on older models I should be keeping an eye out for?
I've had a few Taylor 12-strings, as well as one of their T5 line 12-strings, I've liked. They sounded good acoustically and plugged in.

You may find something from Taylor 2nd-hand that meets your price point.

I also had a Takamine EF381SC that served me well for a few years. I've seen them for sale used for under $1k.

I went with an electric because a acoustic 12-string can be like a lesson in masochism.
I have this very same fear. That Dano is stunning. This is what has me thinking the Godin A12 might suit me better. I do want an acoustic-like sound -- immediately I'm going to track some stuff with it that's acoustic-based and I want to hear a 12-string on.

In your heart you know you want a Rick though, nothing else sounds like that ;)
Maybe? I actually would love a PRS Hollowbody I 12-string if I'm really dreaming. But my wallet does not want either the Ric or the PRS. :D

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 6.23.39 PM.png

Mmmm. Pretty.

You may find something from Taylor 2nd-hand that meets your price point.
Any of them the 200-series? There's a 254CE for around my price range on Reverb.

Edit: actually, that 245CE brand new from Sweetwater is the same price so I'd just get it from there. There's a comment on the Sweetwater site that concerns me:

Just received my Taylor 254ce today and was initially disappointed near to tears as to how terrible the action was, the sustain was horrible, bass strings sounded "dead" when fretted. I was ready to send it back to Sweetwater, ask to exchange her for ANYTHING else. But every guru on the internet says to tune your 12 string down a full tone, go to DGCFAD instead of EADGBE and capo the second fret if you want it to sound to 440 tuning. So what the heck, I gave it a go and..OHHHH Baby! She absolutely came alive in my hands! Beautiful sustain! Bar chords a breeze! She leapt from 1/2 star to 5 stars immediately!

That's weird to have to do that.

Last edited:
Any of them the 200-series? There's a 254CE for around my price range on Reverb.

Edit: actually, that 245CE brand new from Sweetwater is the same price so I'd just get it from there. There's a comment on the Sweetwater site that concerns me:

That's weird to have to do that.
I've never owned a Taylor 200 series, a couple I tried once at GC seemed fine for the price.

I've been missing my Taylor t5 12-string lately and wondering if I'd get more use out of it than my acoustic 12-string.

I've been missing my Taylor t5 12-string lately and wondering if I'd get more use out of it than my acoustic 12-string.
Yea. The Godin is intriguing from a “it’s small like an electric but sounds like an acoustic” perspective.

The T5 is unfortunately out of my price range.

IMHO, best bang for the buck, so to speak, for what you are asking is a Takamine or a Godin. Both make excellent guitars but you don't get gouged just because of the name.
I have been playing Takamine Acosutics for many (4?) decades. I also prefer the ones Made in Japan.
Funny, Made in Japan used to be the Made in China statement when I was growing up.
Yamaha is also another name to consider.

I have an Applause and my buddy has an Ovation I like the Ovation because the neck is a little narrower and it sounds awesome.
I also have an ovation 6 string and love it.

Reactions: MNG
The ovations with the larger sound hole have the best sound. If you can find a good used twelve string grab one and try it. Or go down to your local music shop and try a few different ones see what feels and sounds right for you.

I bought the Applause just because I found a really good used deal. I changed the nut and lowered the action and it is fine for me as I don’t play it that much. Every now and again I’ll play it. They do have a sweet sound.

When I bought my 12 string, I didn't give a crap about any names people gave me, even Taylor, which I already owned a 714ce. Fortunately for me, the GC in Glen Burnie has a great selection of acoustic guitars to choose from, or at least they did when I bought it; haven't been there in a while.
Anyway, I basically was looking for ease of playing mostly, and tone was also high on the list. After trying every 12 string they had in the store, which was probably 10 guitars, the winner was a Taylor 356ce. Maybe I do prefer their tone, but whatever it is, they do sound fantastic to me. The 356's tone just jumps off the strings. Hard to describe, but a buddy of mine who has an acoustic solo gig doing about 200 a year, and has gone thru several acoustics (I think he's finally found the one) really loved the sound too. It's beyond your budget, I think it was closer to 2, but maybe a used one would be in your ballpark...?
Idk, tone is hard to describe, and really up to the individual, which is why I tried all the guitars GC had at the time. Which is what I'd recommend. One thing I'd do differently if I had to do it again is, I wouldn't go for the cut-away. I never play (I can't play) anything that high up on the neck of a 12 string.

Trying to get a good acoustic tone from a small body electro acoustic is pretty much impossible. Even the best ones sound terrible not plugged in (compared with a decent acoustic one) I would say look at the cheapest Taylor and maybe the cheap Guild as the best build versions for the money.
It really matters on a twelve string because of the tension.
The thing that is most important in a twelve string acoustic set up is the neck should be almost perfectly straight and the nut needs to be as low as possible without buzz or the thing is 10 times harder to play.

Back
Top Bottom