Telecaster Mojo

mwd

Power User
Got a cool Custom 52 Tele style guitar. Came with the old school triple saddle with 2 strings per saddle. Obviously refined intonation is impossible. In this case the 3/4 strings on the middle saddle are the most noticed. 1 is sharp and 1 is flat.

So I got a 3 piece Wilkinson replacement brass saddle pieces that stagger the contact point and does indeed get the harmonics closer to accurate while maintaining the 2 string per saddle originality.

But I'm not so sure I like it.

Seems to have lost just a touch of mojo.

This is my first Tele style so I was wondering what others have found and how you deal with Tele intonation.

Heard good things about this bridge:

Wilkinson Adjustable Compensated Bridge for Tele | stewmac.com

Adjustable yet still closer to old school than modern six saddle bridges if you're trying to keep the vintage look.

Some folks say that the slightly off intonation is part of the Tele's character. I guess it depends on the guitar. A few cents off here and there might add some "mojo" but if the intonation is way off, it can sound like crap on higher chords and double stops. The adjustable saddles would let you dial in the amount of off intonation character you want. There's a number of different compensated saddles out there. You might have to try a few different ones to find the particular alloy, weight, shape, etc. that works best for your guitar. It's a pretty crucial part tonewise. A quality bridge can make a world of difference.

The ones I got are kind of like that.

WilkinsonCompensatedSaddleBridgeChromeSaddles.jpg

Joe bardon makes a nice bridge with staggered saddles...I don't think it takes away from the mojo at all. What it really means is that I play it more, because it is intonated.

Back
Top Bottom