Tele Twang/chicken pickin tone help

msmith886

Inspired
So I love Brad Paisley and his tone. I have his pick up's in my tele and have come close to some things he does but looking for some classic country/twangy chicken picking tones. Anyone out there have any patches they use or recommendations to get tone like video below.

Mainly trying to figure out what comps, drives and delays maybe good ? I know what he uses but having a tough time figuring out what would be the same as those w the ax8 ?

Mainly trying to figure out what comps, drives and delays maybe good ? I know what he uses but having a tough time figuring out what would be the same as those w the ax8 ?
The MAZ models have more drive... The other one is fairly clean.

I don't really use heavy compressor settings like most country players... But probably one of the pedal comp models or the opto.

Tele->Pedal Comp 1->Tape Dist->Dr. Z->Optical Comp 1->Cab-> slap delay

Crucial part IMO, is the IR you choose - that dinstinguishes the different country players' tones from each other. Most of them use some kind of vintage Fender clean tone, very compressed, and nearly all of them play a Tele. Also, what you hear on the album has a bit of tape distortion and likely an LA-2A on the back end.

What is a LA-2A and know a lot is dealing with the compressor. Any suggestions on settings for comps to get that kind of tone ?

What is a LA-2A and know a lot is dealing with the compressor. Any suggestions on settings for comps to get that kind of tone ?
That is a studio compressor... Which probably why he suggested the Opto compressor after the amp... Although I would put it after the cab.

Technique has a lot to do with it too. Playing finger-style or hybrid pick/fingers lets you pop the strings a certain way. Picking closer to the bridge brings out the twang and bite. String muting and percussive fretting hand techniques are used a lot too. Greg Koch is another monster chickin' pickin' player. Those guys make it look easy. It's not. You don't have any gain to hide behind, so every little flub shines through with painful clarity.

Yeah. Know a lot of it is in the hands and technique. There is just something I like about being able to get that classic tele twang when I'm playing mine or that Paisley tone I have always wished I could do easier on the AX8. Know a lot also has to do with the studio or recordings

Yeah. Know a lot of it is in the hands and technique. There is just something I like about being able to get that classic tele twang when I'm playing mine or that Paisley tone I have always wished I could do easier on the AX8. Know a lot also has to do with the studio or recordings

Honestly, that classic tele twang comes from any tele with a good amp. I do know what you mean, but I believe there is more in his fingers, style, techniques, etc like Mr Fender said. Listen to vids of him or any of those guys like him demo an amp. Theres no special recording crap or tons of fx....It's the guy and his guitar and an amp.
I truly hope you find what you are looking for. I know you have been looking for quite a while and posted about it.
I have no doubt that if Brad, Greg K, Brent Mason, etc....any of those guys played thru my lowly Fender Superchamp XD (with rajin cajin speaker) I'd be wondering how they get that sound.
Good luck and wishing you a successful end to your journey

one example of many:

Thanks yeah that video is sick. Just amazing the tones they get. Would love to find more stuff like that and also more tones like Derek Trucks, Mayer, Warren Haynes & Vince Gill.

Know lots of folks like metal or EVH tones and they are good but hard to beat tones like Brad, Vince, Mayer, Derek or them.

Back
Top Bottom