Tele neck

slinky005

Power User
I have never setup my guitar's neck, always bring it to the luthier.
My tele was setup about 6 months ago and now bending the high E and B strings around the 12th fret is creating the "bending into silence" issue. As I bend the string stops sounding.
Like those strings are way too low.
The E has been causing me problems for months where I would regularly have to raise the saddle because it kept doing the "bending into silence" thing. Now it has spread to the B string.

Could this be a simple adjustment of the truss rod or is it something else?

I don't know about teles but my start came with detailed instructions on how to set it up to factory specs. I sure the same is available on line if you search for it.

Anyway my strat neck moves a little with the seasons. To check your neck relief, all you need is a capo and a feeler gauge to see where it is. That's the easiest thing to fix. Just adjust the truss rod to get the proper relief at the specified fret.

Could also be a high fret or a combination of neck relief and an unlevel fret.

Could be that the saddle height adjusting screws have just vibrated to a new place (I've seen some barrel type of saddles where the screws were very sloppy in the barrel threads.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take food off of anyone's table but I think all guitar players should have the tools and basic knowledge to do their own set ups (which would cover everything above except a high fret).

My guess is your neck relief isn't enough... a lot of "techs" setup necks to be flat, but they need relief for the guitar to function optimally.

...but...

as soon as you add in that relief (truss rod adjustment), you've now changed the nut-to-bridge length (scale) even if ever so slightly, meaning it would be necessary to then double check your intonation.

You might also find it necessary, based on your preferences, to adjust saddle heights, which also affects intonation.

Bottom line, either get a better tech or learn to do setups on your own, because if you want something done right...

You may also be "fretting out" - common problem on vintage radius fender necks. Normally cured with a fret level.

IIRC Jeff Beck (or someone else) has his frets leveled with a 9.5" radius on a 7.25" fretboard to get the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom