Tele neck pup cover?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Opinions and why?
I am going with Fralin Blues specials on USA STD Tele with channel bound neck RW
Neck pickup cover options:

NECK COVER *

Choose how you want your Neck pickup to look in your guitar. If no option is chosen, you will receive an Uncovered neck, which is standard.
Polished Nickel Cover
Polished Nickel Open-Top Cover
Raw Nickel Cover
Raw Nickel Open-Top Cover
Chrome Cover (+$10.00)
Chrome Open-Top Cover (+$10.00)
Thanks

I think chrome cover neck pickup look the best on a tele... especially with chrome hardware. Bridge uncovered. Creates a nice contrast.

Last edited:
I like the look of raw nickel but I think the traditional Tele is chrome.

I think there's also supposedly a tonal impact of covered vs uncovered, so you might consider that, too.

I like the look of raw nickel but I think the traditional Tele is chrome.

I think there's also supposedly a tonal impact of covered vs uncovered, so you might consider that, too.
That's exactly what I have been trying to research. All I could find was reference to "more high end" without a cover but no real difference if chrome or nickel.

The open top ought to let a bit more trebles in, while protecting the sides of the coil from damage and shielding it a fair bit....
All good points! Plus IMO the open top looks awesome.

Have two Tele's one of them have been toying with a pickup swap for a while. Want something slightly different but also don't want to give up what I already have. (don't want to tweak myself out of a good tone)
But for the practical reasons you stated and I like the look. Safe to say I'll be going with a open top, in the future.

a while back I did a tele w no neck cover... was surprised that all the sudden it sounded like a regular ole strat pickup. no dif than a lp cover... metal cover darkens things up a bit which is not entirely bad if you like that sort of thing. as mentioned above - best of both worlds is an open style cover.

a while back I did a tele w no neck cover... was surprised that all the sudden it sounded like a regular ole strat pickup. no dif than a lp cover... metal cover darkens things up a bit which is not entirely bad if you like that sort of thing. as mentioned above - best of both worlds is an open style cover.
It's worth a shot for me. I am a Fralin Pickup guy for many, many years. Just suit me well. But never tried the Tele pups. The Tele is worth it for me-the channel bound 1016 neck profile is just amazing and worth upgrading the guitar. Just feels right. Still love my strats of course. But this USA STD is special, for me. Compound radius is nice also. I did check with Fender and it is the original neck for this Tele. They only did this, evidently in 2014, on Anniversary Strats and 2016 on some Teles.

It's worth a shot for me. I am a Fralin Pickup guy for many, many years. Just suit me well. But never tried the Tele pups. The Tele is worth it for me-the channel bound 1016 neck profile is just amazing and worth upgrading the guitar. Just feels right. Still love my strats of course. But this USA STD is special, for me. Compound radius is nice also. I did check with Fender and it is the original neck for this Tele. They only did this, evidently in 2014, on Anniversary Strats and 2016 on some Teles.
hehe we're a lot the sm - I have a set of fralin humbuckers that I love but have never tried his singles. I have gathered that he is actually more well known for his singles. Given the sound of his humbuckers... I'd be surprised if his tele pickups weren't lovely.
compound - hm... that is surprising I thought it was more wide spread than that but then I haven't been in the loop on the fender market for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom