Ted Templeman's new book

Great book! Cool little tidbit of trivia I did not know...the 1st 6 seconds of Hot For Teacher is actually a recording of Ed's Lamborghini exhaust pipe.

Another cool couple good reads on the topic are "Runnin with the Devil" by their Manager Noel Monk. And "Van Halen Rising by Greg Renoff."

In their very early days under the band name Genesis, they were influenced by the band Cactus. They would cover the first song of their first album Parchman Farm (1970), you can hear its influence on Ed's playing.

Since VH is a hot topic on the boards recently, here are a few cool youtube links. God Eddie was a Prodigy!

https://m.youtube.com/user/MugenMazeru/videos

That video/audio from 1975 is incredible! Ed's rhythm is second to none.

I was going to post something about how great Ed Landee is....and he is!! But after hearing that cassette tape audio of Eddie playing early tunes and covers on gear he probably didn't have by the time they made VH1, it's safe to say Eddie truly is a genius. And Ted Templeman gives him (and really, all of his artists) the credit he deserves. At that time, nobody played like Ed. He inspired a generation.

Another interesting nugget...in the early days before they were signed, VH would soundcheck with the following tune...remind you of anything?

I am currently in the VH part of this excellent Memoir, and there are some interesting revelations (to me as a Hagar supporter at least, )but Templeman’s recollections of his earlier collaborations were really special to me as he produced two of my all time fave albums, Little Feat’s second, Sailin Shoes, and Beefheart’s
Clear Spot....and he made me realize that I did like Doobie Brothers after all....a great read....and made better if you have your favorite streaming service at hand to reference Ted’s amazing catalog...

My oldest brother (15 yrs older) gave me my first taste of VH early on. He was a great guitar player and gave me the 5150 cassette when i wast 15 yrs old. I started with the Van Hagar but as I get older I find myself really appreciating the guitar work of the older albums. I love both eras but that incredibly creative guitar genius from the early era is still so inspiring. Romeo's delight, drop dead legs, Hang 'em high, mean streets, On Fire, Top Jimmy...man i can go on. And these are just the riffs I love. Not including favorite solos.

Sammy brought lots of greatness to the band too. I adore the 5150 album in its entirety still. Listening to Summer nights blasted in my Dad's painting van on a Friday night on the main stretch with my buds are some of my most cherished memories.

Pulling out of my high school parking lot after my last final exam blasting Summer Nights.... Good times!!!!

I enjoyed the unauthorized "Van Halen Rising" book.
Excellent book. I keep meaning to mail it to a buddy. I found it real interesting that according to the book Ed didn’t pick up the tapping until just before they got signed.
When I listen to the old bootlegs it’s mind blowing how good he is and was back then.

I am currently in the VH part of this excellent Memoir, and there are some interesting revelations (to me as a Hagar supporter at least, )but Templeman’s recollections of his earlier collaborations were really special to me as he produced two of my all time fave albums, Little Feat’s second, Sailin Shoes, and Beefheart’s
Clear Spot....and he made me realize that I did like Doobie Brothers after all....a great read....and made better if you have your favorite streaming service at hand to reference Ted’s amazing catalog...

I grew up sitting on a beanbag with headphones on, looking at my dads album covers of the Doobies, Linda Rondstadt, Chicago, etc. I still haven’t bothered to search for Harper’s Bazaar song.

Harper’s Bazaar song.
very commercial and slick sounding stuff with great harmonies (due to Mr, Templeman) very much of the early 60's , yet sorta subversive and eccentric. I ignored them back in the day, but they did keep popping up on TV .......

Back
Top Bottom