Technophobic guitarists... Got Skype?

Womac911

Inspired
Why aren't guitarists more technically minded?
Maybe not the ones here... but amongst the jillions of guitarists I know or have worked with, so few of them know how to do such a simple thing as plug into a PC and record a dry signal.

Looking for someone to run a short Skype experiment with me. I already know the AxeII can be used over Skype with great results.
I want to try something slightly different, though....

Thanks to someone on Facebook, I now know it's possible to remotely use an AxeFXII through Skype.
With him sending a dry guitar signal through Skype, I set my Axe up for Main Input as USB.
Axe picked up his dry signal, and processed it as it would if you were re-amping from a DAW.

umm... yeah. since the Axe can be used as a sound card (essentially) any audio source can be run through it

self-professed technically minded person...

doesn't post audio clip of experiment.

Next go-round. May try again soon with something other than Skype.. like Logitech Vid, which has bandwidth/bitrate settings. Looking for someone with much higher bandwidth than the participant had, too.

Unfortunately, Skype did not send the processed audio back to him.. but that may have been due to forgetting to set Skype to use the Axe as the input...

Why aren't guitarists more technically minded?
Maybe not the ones here... but amongst the jillions of guitarists I know or have worked with, so few of them know how to do such a simple thing as plug into a PC and record a dry signal.

I can think of a few reasons. Perhaps it's because they don't need to be. I've known a lot of guitarists who would never dream of going near a PC. An amp, a couple of pedals, plenty of chops and a lot of attitude, and that's all you need. Even some of them could barely get THAT gear to work, but they don't seem to care that much about it.
I prefer the flexibility the Axe-Fx gives, but I'm not one for recording, so I wouldn't really ever consider plugging into a PC for anything other than editing & backups.

Back
Top Bottom