Tech info to give sound person for DI gig

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
Hi, I have a fly-in gig, and the sound person isn't familiar with how to accommodate an axe-fx iii-or any guitar DI solutions for that matter. Can anyone share with me the exact language to give the sound person, assuming they are providing everything other than the Axe (and my Axe!) for the gig? I saw this before in the forum but can't seem to find it. FYI, I understand how it all works, but I want to be absolutely precise in my language to avoid misunderstandings.

All I do is ask for 2 xlr cables and tell them I'm running stereo. If they can only give me one mono track then I make sure I switch the output setting back to one of the mono settings.

FYI, I'm also relying on them for a monitor and sub-mix, so I'm hoping to lay out the whole picture to them. I also remember there was some detail about the mains that was important. I'm looking for language for a technical rider, essentially.

Just went through this with a new sound guy. I told him XLR, line level. He was skeptical, but as soon as we did sound check he was like "wow." Ran through my basic sounds (Plexi, AC, Twin, Bassman, Tweed) in like :30 seconds and he said "OK, we're done with you."

The other thing they may ask is if you need a DI box. You don't.

Line level, start with the channel gain low. Here’s my nominal Volume, here’s my lead volume.

If they insist on using a DI box - which many do - just give them a 1/4” cable from an output.

Frankly i'm surprised that any sound guy at a level that handles fly dates doesn't already know how to do this. Five years ago, yeah. Buy hey, you never know who you're gonna get.

Frankly i'm surprised that any sound guy at a level that handles fly dates doesn't already know how to do this. Five years ago, yeah. Buy hey, you never know who you're gonna get.
That was my FIRST reaction when reading the OP! Heck even 5 yrs ago a decent FOH should have that down.
Wonders never cease.
It's not like XLR feeds from a "processor" or DI box are any different in the type of connection/hookup. I'd be real skeptical of a fly date with that "level of knowledge" portrayed by the other end. :(
YMMV

That was my FIRST reaction when reading the OP! Heck even 5 yrs ago a decent FOH should have that down.
Wonders never cease.
It's not like XLR feeds from a "processor" or DI box are any different in the type of connection/hookup. I'd be real skeptical of a fly date with that "level of knowledge" portrayed by the other end. :(
YMMV
I'm not trying to assume a level of knowledge on the other side, just trying to be crystal clear, in writing, not just showing up expecting that "its so simple nothing can possibly go wrong". Not getting the skepticism about my post. Keep in mind it is a technical rider for everything, not just the info about line level stereo XLR outs. All monitoring, and no guarantee about having a sub-mix, etc.

It is my first fly-in date without nothing but an Axe-FX and FC-6 (really the important distinction for me being I'm the one on the hook for providing everything not explicitly mentioned in the technical rider). I didn't mention what country it was in, or what state of jet-lag I might be in either :)

I'm not trying to assume a level of knowledge on the other side, just trying to be crystal clear, in writing, not just showing up expecting that "its so simple nothing can possibly go wrong". Not getting the skepticism about my post. Keep in mind it is a technical rider for everything, not just the info about line level stereo XLR outs. All monitoring, and no guarantee about having a sub-mix, etc.

It is my first fly-in date without nothing but an Axe-FX and FC-6 (really the important distinction for me being I'm the one on the hook for providing everything not explicitly mentioned in the technical rider). I didn't mention what country it was in, or what state of jet-lag I might be in either :)
No worries. It's good to be explicit in the rider.

The way you phrased your question, it sounded like you were going to have to do some on-the-spot teaching.

I go FOH out of Out 2 on the AXE III and keep the level at 50%. This always seems to be perfect for the gain structure on the console. On my console the gain is set around 6 with the slider at unity..

I just did a gig with the Ax III this past Sunday at a new venue and new tech. I use Out 1 and Out 3 on my Ax III. I also suggest setting the output levels to +4db (not -10db). I told the tech that I'm running in stereo out of Out 1 so XLR's out of Out 1 L and R to FOH. I asked for one more wedge to put behind me to be a guitar monitor and I went mono out of Out 3 L (1/4 jack) to a converter box to convert to XLR then to the wedge. I like this set up because I have some guitar coming out of the wedge in front of me with vocals and other instruments but I also have just guitar coming out of the wedge behind me. I find that I hear my guitar much better on stage during the show without having to crank the onstage volume because both wedges are pointed at my head. I usually have the tech stand with me at sound check and I set my Output levels based on my loudest and softest presets and with and without boost so I have a good overall level that allows enough headroom for solos, etc. I usually end up at approx 50% (12 o'clock) with Output levels. This seems to work pretty well and most techs understand it and can make it work. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom