Tech 21 Power Engine 60 1x12"

Stratman68

Axe-Master
Curious? Having owned all the axefx boxs and the Ax8, I have always used my studio monitors at home for recording, etyc. On occasional jams I use a Yamaha DXR10. Use to use K10's and a few others. Point being they always had a horn. I like the idea of it being more like a small combo amp and NOT being digital (with the AX8)
Thanks guys
Frank

I had a Power Engine back around 2010. Well-made product for sure. Downsides is that it's definitely not FRFR, so kind of hampers the AxeFX in that regard. Can't really get the most out of cab sims. I bought the then-top of the line Atomic FRFR Reactors and it was a giant upgrade. Since then, I've gone with Friedman ASM-12s.

So, for me it was Power Engine < Atomic Reactor FRFR < Friedman ASM-12

I own at Power Engine 60. After talking with Tech 21 a few years ago, they sent me a horn that they use in some of their other amps. It was an easy installation, and it certainly added a missing dimension to the tone. It still doesn't sound truly FRFR to my ears, but it's pretty close.

Just had a cab built by XiTone to go with my AX8 and it sounds great. Just the size of a small 1x12 guitar cab and you get to use all of what the AX8 has to offer with FRFR. Mick is great to work with and will advise on what's best for you.

I see you have a Yamaha DXR10. This is what I currently use also. I've had several PE60's in the past and I think it's a sizable step backward compared to the DXR10 personally. If you're looking to get the most out of your IR's, the PE60 really isn't the way to go. It's not FRFR and I really don't think it's meant to be. It's kinda flat, kinda neutral and made more sense when they're weren't thousands of realistic IR's available that require true FRFR to separate their nuanced differences.

Or like Catscanman82 said, go with something from Xitone. They make a partial open back FRFR cab now and Mick's customer service is by far and away the best. I would have went with his cab had the Yamaha not been significantly cheaper.

OK-Thanks to all of you. That is what I needed to know. I will stick with my DXR10's...........................................

Back
Top Bottom