Teach me something about bridges

piofusco

Inspired
Hey guys,

So, I'm about to make the purchase for the body of my first 24 fret wonder. However, I have yet to decide on a bridge. With my strat plus, I have been pretty spoiled when it comes to staying in tune. I have mind to continue this into my next guitar in getting an American Standard tremolo with an LRS/wilkinson nut and locking tuners (a must have). I don't desire a locking tremolo system per-say, but sometimes I (try) to play like Jeff Beck and use my whammy bar quite a bit. Additionally, I haven't considering making the system floating at all - personally, I think I'd prefer it not floating, but I won't disregard the idea until I have all the deats. I don't enjoy having to screw in my whammy bar so consider that as well when making a suggestion.

Thanks in advanced!

I'm not much of a whammy bar player, yet four out of six of my guitars has a locking trem system. I love the rock solid tuning stability. I prefer the Gotoh yet Floyds are just as good IMO. The only reason I prefer the Gotoh is the set screw for the whammy bar, you still have to screw the bar in though. I used to block the trems yet now prefer to have them all floating. Also, I actually enjoy the setup and adjusting of a trem guitar. It's my zen thing.

Last edited:
Not sure what's available where you live, but any Long & McQuade store in Canada rents guitars so I would just rent one and play the crap out of it for a month. You will know for certain after that.

My favorite tremolo system is Ibanez edge zero .. but most system works great when you tune them in properly ..
I would highly recommend you trying to get it setup as floating .. gives you so much more versability ..

but that's just imho

:)

oh yeah and if you get a floyd rose or similar , be sure to put a heavier block into it, it makes all the difference in the world ..
I made one myself years ago in solid steel for a kramer guitar, and it literally made it so much better I couldn't believe it ..
much better tone .. and much better tuning stability ... smoother action .. :)

I've seen people selling them on ebay ..or you can make one yourself it's not rocket science :)

I love and use my tremolo all the time. I got away from Floyd Rose trems a few years back. I have grown very fond of the PRS/Man Made USA bridges. By far the best sounding, most tuning stable non locking tremolo style bridges ever. The Man Made USA is a one piece base and block and has a tad better sustain and fatter tone. It is also half the price of the PRS branded ones. Also, Man Made USA also made the original PRS bridges from years ago and still make them the exact same. I have my 2 custom guitars equipped with one of each and they are both floating. Both have a nice range, but its not quite as much range as a Floyd Rose. It suites me perfect for vibrato, dives, squeals/raising notes, etc.. The super strat that will be coming up in a year or so will have the Man Made USA bridge as well. Also, Man Made USA makes strat bridges as well to replace the existing ones and they are top notch as well.

There are a ton off options you better try'em before ya buy'em. if you don't like to thread in the bar that really limits your choices unless you have one custom built. I am only aware of three trems with push in bars older Ibanez(not sure of model)older takamini (I'm sure I spelt that wrong) and my favorite even though most hate them the old import Jackson JT-6 I install a Brass block (lovem) if not sure about full float I like the tremo no and the hip shot trem setter I like both of them for different set ups.

Not sure what's available where you live, but any Long & McQuade store in Canada rents guitars so I would just rent one and play the crap out of it for a month. You will know for certain after that.

If only we had those this far south.

Gotoh Wilkinson VS-100 with a good lubricated or roller nut and locking tuners gets my vote. Very stable and great feel.

This is kind of what I had in mind. I am not really into Van Halen style dives. Perhaps at the end of a set/song...but I don't mind having to tune if I do something like that. Playing that "irresponsibly' warrants tuning.

I always liked the Golden Gate. :)

I actually Googled this before I remembered...:emptiness:

How many semitones are you going to release the tension to? At a maximum of three, a non-locking system with a good nut will be fine. If you want to do Steve Vai, VanHalen of George Lynch dive bombs you'll need a locking system.

This is all I know about Bridges...Lloyd, that is. (Forgive me, but the first snow storm of the year is making me more nuts than usual!)

medium_lloyd-bridges.gif

Happy Thanksgiving!

I have an EBMM JP6 and LOVE the bridge on it. It's a floating bridge, but not locking in the true sense, with locking tuners (not sure what brand). I abuse my whammy sometimes (that didn't sound very good lol) and it has NEVER gone out of tune or throws the intonation off.

Never heard of these. Thanks for sharing. Definitely will check them out. Looks interesting.

How many semitones are you going to release the tension to? At a maximum of three, a non-locking system with a good nut will be fine. If you want to do Steve Vai, VanHalen of George Lynch dive bombs you'll need a locking system.

Three is definitely going to be my maximum.

On another side note, does anyone know where I can find a Floyd Rose Focus? Like this:
oldfloyd.jpg

My son has an original of an old kramer he might would sell it he is changing it to double lock floyed

Back
Top Bottom