TC50 & FX8 Users - Talk Me Down! LOL

Cool. Yeah, I figured that was what you were describing, and that's the way I'm doing it. Works pretty well for what I need to do, as the amp and drives really make up the few core tones I need, and then I have flexibility to add the effects needed to spice things up.

Hate to revive a thread that should be dying of natural causes, but...

I actually got thru November, thinking about that sale price on the Axe-FX II... and thinking... and I didn't pull the trigger...

But those guys at Fractal extended it into a White December Sale!

Pure Evil I tell you! I made it another three days before I succumbed to temptation. My fellow band mate might be buying my FX8 to kind of ease the pocket book pain a bit, but oh man, I really shouldn't have done it!

I'm still going to be using the amp for most things, just be able to do a lot more in a single preset, and I can use it for recording or playing thru headphones when it's not really appropriate to play loud.

Haha! I knew the GAS would get you. It can be especially tough to hold off when you're GAS'ing for Fractal gear. Awesome though man. Congrats. Since all my Fractal gear is gone (which kinda makes me sad), I've been staying off this site a bit lately but I like to drop in and check you guys out every now and then. Hope all is well!

Haha! I knew the GAS would get you. It can be especially tough to hold off when you're GAS'ing for Fractal gear. Awesome though man. Congrats. Since all my Fractal gear is gone (which kinda makes me sad), I've been staying off this site a bit lately but I like to drop in and check you guys out every now and then. Hope all is well!
Doing well. I guess after getting everything dialed in its time to start again... Oh well. Should be fun.

Nice to see you on here. How is the new rig working out. Get the monster stereo routing figured out yet?

Yeah I finally got it “done” and it is totally amazing. Easy to dial in and super high quality effects (as is the FX8 of course). It sounds just massive. The versatility is off the charts. It was more expensive overall than the FX8 though. I’m not sure by how much but I’m scared to add it up lol.

The Axe-FX and MFC arrived today. It is a little bit more work getting the MFC set to send a PC to change the amp channel and Kingmaker along with the scenes but i figured something that works. I will be getting some pointers from M@t to see if I can make any improvements, but what i did does it. Only downside is that the first tap in the scene turns the LED on, and then it stays on when you go to another scene. More difficult to see which scene you are in. Maybe M@t has another way but i can live with it as it is.

So, the 3 hour first impression review. First advantage - you have X/Y on the EQ blocks, so i have a little more fine tuning than i was getting out of the filter block i was using to toggle between my rhythm and lead settings.

Second advantage - I can get a lot more stuff into each preset and I've got plenty of switches available to call up whatever I want at any given time.

Third advtantage, I can bypass the loop with my amps preamp it and use an Axe-FX amp in its place. I had an AFX II up until around the time of Quantum1 and really like it for direct recording, buy i couldn't really see it for,the live setup. I couldn't get the sounds i wanted into a power amp,and cab and FRFR wasn't quite my thing.

Fast forward to this evening, and I decided to drop an amp block in parallel to the loop where my real preamp resides, and i can toggle between the loop and the amp block. After i got my main tones dialed with the TC50, I dropped Herbie Channel 3 into the amp block, bypassed the TC50 pre.,and turned a few knobs. First impression was pretty good. I can see myswlf using a handful of these amp models here and there to add a little variety, especially for double-tracking rhythm guitars.

Well, I hope this doesn't get me totally kocked out of the FX8 and TC50 owner's club. I feel like were part of a special kind of brotherhood, sharing tips and tricks on this stuff.

Yeah, the 4x12 routing matrix and more CPU power for larger or multi FX chains is a big advantage. Opens up lots of possibilities. Have fun.

Hi Genghis, I did a similar move. I had an FX8 that I used with my JP-2C and liked it very much. The FX8 was a perfect fit to use with 4CM with the JP-2C. Channel switching was solid using PC and CC sent on scene changes. But I also needed a recording option and also play at night when excessive volume is an issue in my house. So I bit the bullet and sold it and got an Axe-FX II XL+ / MFC combo. You're right, it's a little trickier getting MIDI PC and CC to send using the MFC, but it is possible (you actually send from the Axe FX). But that said, I found the MFC to have a few limitations that didn't work for me so I changed to an RJM Mastermind GT16. That thing is a beast! It is to foot controllers what the Axe FX is to amp/effect modeling - top notch! BTW - on your MFC, use Link Switches to turn off the LED when changing scenes. Only 1 switch in a Link Group can be active at a time and you can have up to 5 switches in a Link Group (which was one of the limitations for me)

Last edited:
Hi Genghis, I did a similar move. I had an FX8 that I used with my JP-2C and liked it very much. The FX8 was a perfect fit to use with 4CM with the JP-2C. Channel switching was solid using PC and CC sent on scene changes. But I also needed a recording option and also play at night when excessive volume is an issue in my house. So I bit the bullet and sold it and got an Axe-FX II XL+ / MFC combo. You're right, it's a little trickier getting MIDI PC and CC to send using the MFC, but it is possible (you actually send from the Axe FX). But that said, I found the MFC to have a few limitations that didn't work for me so I changed to an RJM Mastermind GT16. That thing is a beast! It is to foot controllers what the Axe FX is to amp/effect modeling - top notch! BTW - on your MFC, use Link Switches to turn off the LED when changing scenes. Only 1 switch in a Link Group can be active at a time and you can have up to 5 switches in a Link Group (which was one of the limitations for me)
Hey, thanks for the tip on the link switches. I set that up for my first 5 I/As, and really... that's all the scenes I need in a preset anyway, so that fixes the biggest issue I had at this point. I just need some Kick Tags and I think I'll be fine with this setup now. Oh, that and a few more hours (or days) of programming to get the patches dialed in the way I want. Really digging this setup a lot.

Back
Top Bottom