Wish TC MIMIQ Pedal

Valhallir

Power User
Vendor
I think ,this would be more desireable than ANY new amp model or other FX .

If this doesn't find its way into the axefx.....I'd buy it anyway.

I have tried most of these "double-tracking"-presets and tips around. I don't find them helpful. In the studio I always double-track the "oldschool way", but for live-situations I'm still looking for a solution. But I don't fu** around with dozens of different controllers, enhancers, etc. Using 2 different amps didn't help much. I use 2 different IRs, but, as told before, there is still no convincing ADT-preset around, IMHO.
I will give that pedal a try when it will be available.

I think that even tho it can be done combining a few stuff that are allready there it would be nice and WAY simpler just to have a dedicated effect that does it and that anyone can use it and not just people that know how to go deep on the unit.

I have tried the "swedish sauce" preset with my Ax8, by just using the pitch-block on one side. It's a good starting point. Never tried the "detune"-Block, It's working quite well....it has awaken my research instincts again... ;-)

Update: Now I have the Mimiq-Pedal. It's implemented between the Amp-Sim and the Stereo-Cab-Block in True Stereo. And after trying several setups without it, also by using the "swedish-tricks", I can say for sure, that the Mimiq-Pedal is a keeper.
It works far better as a "doubler", than the intern FXs of the Axe. Even with just one Amp-Block it's really cool.

But I still hope, that FAS will give it a try to model it, instead of the 1000000st Marshall/Boogie/Dumble/Fender-Sim.

Mimiq claims to simulate double-tracked guitars by manipulating the sound to create audible variations in your pick attack and timing.

I have a delay preset I use with panned guitars to try and double or thicken the sound but this has given me an additional idea.

1. Pan one channel hard left and one hard right (just until you get the next step working correctly).
2. Insert a delay at the end of one channel. Set the delay to 0ms.
3. Place an internal controller on the delay time that has random characteristics (maybe the sequencer?), lower the dampening, and set the min/max to prevent the delay time from swaying too far away from 0.
4. Then, after all is said and done, adjust the hard pans bringing them closer to the centre as desired to try and achieve the Mimiq effect.

Sorry, I'm not near my Axe right now so this idea is all off the top of my head but I will try this later!

You currently can't quite achieve the same thing the Mimiq does in the AxeFX. The Mimiq does a few things, but, as I understand it, the key feature of the Mimiq is the the delay time between the voices changes when a note is struck, then remains the same until the next time a note is struck. That's the way real double tracking works. You play the same note on two guitars, but they start at slightly different times. However, the delay between them will remain the same until you play the next note. At the next note there will again be a slight delay between the two guitars, but that delay will be different than it was for the first note. The important thing is: the delay time only changes when a note is struck.

A lot of these efforts to mimic a Mimiq in an AxeFX sound good, but they're not the same as a Mimiq. They either don't vary the delay time, which sounds like an old-fashioned ADT, or vary the delay times randomly, which doesn't sound realistic.

That said, the Mimiq isn't perfect. Accurately detecting when a note is struck isn't easy and the Mimiq doesn't always get it right. It's good, but there's room for improvement. In any case, your results will depend a lot on where it is in your chain. It's best to insert it early, before any compression or distortion.

You currently can't quite achieve the same thing the Mimiq does in the AxeFX. The Mimiq does a few things, but, as I understand it, the key feature of the Mimiq is the the delay time between the voices changes when a note is struck, then remains the same until the next time a note is struck.
Try an ADSR controller on the delay time instead of an envelope or LFO.

I don't think that would work very well. The delay would be at one (maximum) value most of the time, with potential artifacts whenever it retriggers.
It's too bad you can't trigger a single step change in the sequencer on peak detection. A randomized, 32-step sequencer that moved steps on peak detection would do pretty well here. You might be able to make something approximate to that with a controller attached to the run parameters in the sequencer but it'd be glitchy.

Try an ADSR controller on the delay time instead of an envelope or LFO.

That was my first thought too, but it doesn't work very well. It glitches when the ADSR retriggers and it always goes to the same sustain point. Something like the sequencer you suggest, or better yet, a random LFO that triggers on a transient would help.

So, as things stand, you can get decent doubling effects in the AxeFX/AX8, but you can't quite mimic a Mimiq :).

Back
Top Bottom