TC Electronics Mimiq and Mission Engineering Gemini 2

Chriscwt1

Inspired
Hi,

I know there has been a bit of discussion about the Mimiq but I wanted to field opinion on a slightly different angle...

I am considering buying a Mission Engineering Gemini 2 powered FRFR speaker for my Axe FXiii to use live. It occurs to me that the Gemini 2 is true stereo and so I wondered if there anything to be gained by using a Mimiq between the Axe FXiii and the Gemini 2 to enhance the stereo effect and emulate the 'double tracking' effect.

Any thoughts?

I have a Gemini II that I use for small room gigs and at home. I am very happy with it and I plug straight with L and R XLR cables into a Y converter that converts to a 1/4 plug which plugs in the GII. The stereo effects sound amazing. I am not sure if using mimiq would have any effect since the GII is already wired for stereo. Since it is FRFR, it may be able to reproduce whatever effect the mimiq has but I have never tried it. Good luck.

Thanks. I suspect that you're right but they are quite cheap, so I might pick one up for the experiment once I have the Gemini 2. I will let you know the results

The MIMIQ effect is best used if you are the only guitarist. It would make your guitar sound thicker, as if you are playing with another guitarist.

Yes, I understand what it does. I am more concerned with how it would interact with the existing stereo separation between the Axe FXiii and the Gemini

The MIMIQ effect is best used if you are the only guitarist. It would make your guitar sound thicker, as if you are playing with another guitarist.
I'm interested in this as I am the only guitar player in my band. We do some original music in our set and to attempt to reproduce the layered guitars on the recording, it would help to be able to create a wider sound that sounds like doubled guitars.

@Chriscwt1 - please let us know if the mimiq works with the GII. If so, I will definitely check it out.

Isn't there a way to create the same effect in the Ax III without the need for a separate effect unit?

If the TC Electronics blurb is to be believed, it is a much more complex algorithm than simply a short delay between the two channels and, as ak301 says, there is quite a lengthy thread on this elsewhere. I am not technician but I wonder if it is something that Fractal might consider as part of a firmware update in the future, or even as part of the 'wish list' for the Axe FX4 (better start saving now)...

Sounds like you might not have read the other threads on Mimiq
if not - read those as I made a bunch of posts there that relate to your question.

I think those were the posts that I was referring to, and you make some really good points, but I was really thinking about the specific scenario of placing the Mimiq betweeen the Axe FXiii and the Gemini 2. Also, many of my presets are, to put it mildly, 'demanding' in terms of the Axe FX processors, so I would prefer not to eat up more blocks and processing power trying to emulate the Mimiq effect

One thing to keep in mind if you are already running stereo: the Mimiq sums the incoming stereo signal to mono, then creates its own stereo field. This means that when engaged, any other stereo FX you are running would be summed, then altered.

I might be wrong but, looking at the manual, it seems that it can accept true stereo inputs and output this in stereo also (see diagram on p5) so I don't know

I mentioned in the other thread that:

"I have Mimiq and find it most effective in front of dual amps. I run the Mimiq mono into one of the two amp blocks (Mimiq set 100% wet / no dry). This "Mimiqs" a second guitar player into a separate amp"

+ see other posts there where I elaborate further.

I have not found other placements of this effect to be satisfying. Not that it can't sound good in other placements, but to me, other placements compromises what it's trying to do. Putting it after a single amp will get you a pleasent chorusing effect but not really doubling.

Again I urge you to reread the other theead as this exact topic (placement) is covered there in some detail - having Mimiq placed after the amp block does not make sense to me but if you put it there and like it well "have at r".

The objective of Mimiq as I understand it is to replicate a guitar sgnal to similate multiple guitarists playing the same part (or the effect of having a single guitarist record the same part performed multiple times). Logically, this use case sugest that it be placed at the beginning of the chain (where the dry signal is replicated) and having each replicated voice routed into its own amp block (just as 2nd, 3rd ... guitarists in a band would each play through their own amp).

Back
Top Bottom