TC Electronic Konnekt 8...

torkolort

Inspired
Hi,

I've been struggling to get my Konnekt 8 working so I can start recording with the Axe-Fx. My first issue was actually to get the Axe-Edit to work on XP. I was getting bad checksum all the time and figured I'd try to see if installing windows 7 would help. It did and everything with the editor worked perfectly. Shortly after I found out there are no 64-bit drivers for the konnekt 8. I searched around and found a lot of posts asking for this, and the users were promised drivers for Vista and 7 in early winter of 2009. 2010 is just around the corner, and users are still desperately begging for the drivers.

SO I figured I'd try a Windows 7/XP dual boot, but I messed up and had to re-install everything. Then I just decided to go back to XP in order to get the konnekt to work. Installed all the newest drivers and was eager to start recording. I've now spent like 5 hours to get the konnekt to work properly, with no luck. I actually got it to work ONE time and got my first signal from the axe into the computer, but suddenly the device stopped responding and it hasn't been working since.

I've noticed several displeased users complaining about the lack of support and driver compabilities from TC Electronic, but I have also seen a lot of recommendations about their products. Of course the problem could be on my end, but I've tested different firewire devices, cables etc etc. So I have no idea what more I can try. Instead I'm thinking about getting another audio interface. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi !

I use this interface. It has pros... and some cons...

TCE recommands to have a Texas Instruments firewire controller for using a Konnekt 8. I have a Ricoh on my laptop, it gets sometimes disconnected and I have to switch off/on my interface to have it back. But the latest firmware upgrades (2.2.1 or something like that - the latest ones on the TCE site) has solved a little this issue.

Important thing: how do you connect your Axe FX ? Via jack or SPDIF ? If you go digital you have to set your Axe FX as Master clock to synchronize the data stream. If it's not the case, you might get a bad signal, or no signal at all.

Thanks for your reply.

I had ruled out that the problem was the firewire cable because I tried two different cables, but it turned out that both of them were defect. The third cable works fine and now everything is more stable. However, the TC driver suddenly stops from time to time. It seems it's totally random when it happens, because it occurs both when recording and when it's only connected. I will try the Texas Instruments firewire controller to see if it solves this problem. I have the latest firmware installed though.

I'm using the balanced out from the axe fx into the mic ch 1 & 2 on the konnekt.

Ah that was an interesting problem !

The instability looks like a chipset compatibility issue.

With this configuration you escape the synchronization issues, you can forget about that. But using SPDIF you save 2 D/A conversions and 1 cable, that's interesting according to me.

Yeah, I am gonna try using S/PDIF, but I have to get ahold of a decent cable first :)

When I run the DPC Spike Checker, it's usually stable at 5-20us. However, sometimes it suddenly starts to jump up to 5-7k us and stays there. However, this does not seem be the actual cause to the TC driver stopping. I guess you are right, it looks like this is an issue with my chipset...

Back
Top Bottom