TC-1210/TC SCF

I have my original SCF, purchased way back when they first came out; It works great and was on my pedal board until about two years ago when I discovered Keeley's 30ms and Eccos pedals. Odds are good the SCF will rotate back in IF I ever feel the need to use the board and one of my amps again... My FX3 and FM3 are fitting my needs better these days.

@Smittefar , here you go!

I'm quite happy with how it turned out. The sound clip is one half Axe-Fx III, one half TC SCF plugin (can you tell which is which)? The sound clip is mono, but the attached blocks are stereo. Place the filter in series before the chorus. For mono, remove the filter block and turn off the phase reverse in the chorus block.

EDIT: It turns out that the plugin differs from the real pedal regarding phase reversal. On the actual hardware, it's not the right dry signal that gets phase reversed when run in stereo, but the right effect signal. So simply just skip the filter block if you want to emulate the pedal in stereo instead of the plugin.

Some interesting things about the plugin:
  • The speed knob lies to you. The speed is generally slower than the knob is indicating.
  • Depth scales with speed, but so does the min delay time.
  • Depth shortens the width of the sweep, but also reduces the minimum delay time slightly.
  • Max depth and slow speed gives a sweep from about 3.8-12.4 ms.
  • The intensity (mix) can't turn off the chorus completely. There is still a noticeable amount of chorus at zero.
  • The waveform is pretty much a perfect sine.
  • When used in stereo, the right dry signal is phase reversed. The chorus stays in phase (mono).
  • It's cleaner (less saturation) but darker (lower high cut) than the TC1210.
  • I'm pretty sure that there is a gently high cut at the input of the pedal. It's very minimal compared to the high cut for the chorused signal though. You can add some high cut with the filter block and reduce the high cut in the chorus block if you like that aspect of it (I don't). Plus, it's so subtle, it's not really in the frequency range that a guitar cab can reproduce anyway (too high).

Attachments

• TC SCF phase reverse filter_20210421_123108.blk
    380 bytes · Views: 45
  • TC SCF stereo_20210421_123124.blk
    426 bytes · Views: 49
Last edited:
Thank you sooo much, I look forward to testing these tonight :)

I am not used to listening to test files through a chorus. I can here when it switches over (there is a small artefact, when it happens), but I could not hear a difference on the two sides.

Clicks are the best way to measure delay times, but it sure isn't pleasant to listen to :tearsofjoy:
been there done that :)
I much prefer using the flanger block for chorus when it is within the max range of delay. The amount of control in lfo tweaking, filtering, etc. makes it much easier to get the sound I am looking for. I put autodepth off most the time. The manual control is nice to tune things in as well.

I know ;) . I've done the same to measure my SPX 90's Pitch Change C latency...
Awesome! Do you remember how much latency it had? I'm guessing it's more than the Eventide H3000 from roughly the same era.

been there done that :)
I much prefer using the flanger block for chorus when it is within the max range of delay. The amount of control in lfo tweaking, filtering, etc. makes it much easier to get the sound I am looking for. I put autodepth off most the time. The manual control is nice to tune things in as well.
The flanger block is awesome with it's extra parameters! I wish some of them would make it's way to the chorus block. I do use the flanger block for before the amp chorus ala Landau (saves me an extra block since the flanger is already there).

Can anyone explain what auto depth actually does. It somehow scales the depth with the initial delay?
With auto depth off, the depth parameter has 40 ms of range. So if your minimum delay times is 5 ms, your chorus will sweep between 5-45 ms. Since auto depth is off, it will sweep between those times regardless of the speed of the chorus (rate).

Auto depth lowers the maximum delay time, but it also scales depth with the rate. So when you turn up the rate, the max delay time will become shorter and shorter. So you might have a scenario like this:

Slow rate: 5-25 ms sweep
Medium rate: 5-12 sweep
Fast rate: 5-7 ms sweep

OK - I am still trying to wrap my head around it, but I guess it makes sense.

When I first set Auto Depth Off the sound was really wonky until I lowered depth to a much lower setting (probably going from ~35% with Low auto depth to ~7% with Off auto depth - this was with a rate ~0.6 Hz) - It almost sounded like something was 'flipping over' - I think the sound example is in my little video.

PS: I went to bed early yesterday, so no AxeTime for me yet. I still look forward to trying your presets.

OK - I am still trying to wrap my head around it, but I guess it makes sense.

When I first set Auto Depth Off the sound was really wonky until I lowered depth to a much lower setting (probably going from ~35% with Low auto depth to ~7% with Off auto depth - this was with a rate ~0.6 Hz) - It almost sounded like something was 'flipping over' - I think the sound example is in my little video.

PS: I went to bed early yesterday, so no AxeTime for me yet. I still look forward to trying your presets.
The sound you probably heard was the width of the sweep being so wide that the chorus "disappeared". The delay got so long that it stopped being perceived as a chorus.

You can think of auto depth as a rubber band between your index finger and thumb. If you stretch the rubber band slowly, you can stretch it much wider. The faster you try and do it, the smaller the stretch becomes.

The flanger block is awesome with it's extra parameters! I wish some of them would make it's way to the chorus block. I do use the flanger block for before the amp chorus ala Landau (saves me an extra block since the flanger is already there).

I would love to see an "example" block .... I'm struggling to dial in the Flanger as a Chorus !

I would love to see an "example" block .... I'm struggling to dial in the Flanger as a Chorus !
Here is one I am using before 2 amp blocks that are configured w/ one amp input select L, the other input select R. One amp hard panned left, the other right. I like at least a clean boost in front of it,. The delay and reverb are in front the cleanish amps to get a particular delay/reverb effect. This chorus is fairly heavy, but works in the mix of the song with sustained arpeggio notes. To make it a bit less warblely set the rate to 1/2 what I have.The Bass Focus is one of the things I really like about the flanger. Just keeping the max delay high and no feedback is what mostly makes it a chorus rather than flanger. Actually, just messing with it, I like the phase reverse set to left (even in mono) better on this.
1619087989289.png
1619088028192.png

Last edited:
Sure! I've attached my Arion type chorus. Use before the amp for that psychedelic Landau vibe! Channel A is my EVH Flanger clone (I've shared it before), channel B is the Arion style chorus.

Attachments

• UnchainedArion_20210422_125923.blk
    476 bytes · Views: 69
Awesome! Do you remember how much latency it had? I'm guessing it's more than the Eventide H3000 from roughly the same era.
it's all over the place. factory Pitch Change C patch with 0.1ms L R Delay times at -8/+8 never gives the same "delay" on both pitch lines. they jump between 12ms being the lowest and 40ms being the highest and then everything completely random in between , but that's exactly what's part of the sound, that it's quite unpredictable and unprecise...

it's all over the place. factory Pitch Change C patch with 0.1ms L R Delay times at -8/+8 never gives the same "delay" on both pitch lines. they jump between 12ms being the lowest and 40ms being the highest and then everything completely random in between , but that's exactly what's part of the sound, that it's quite unpredictable and unprecise...
12 ms min delay? That's a lot! But about what I expected.

12 ms min delay? That's a lot! But about what I expected.
yes, that's for a generated, pitch shifted voice (not the dry signal). if you look at it from a Chorus perspective, I guess it makes sense why it sounds like a "static" Chorus, where it's more common to use delay in the 10ms-20ms range....

Back
Top Bottom