Taylor Acoustic IR's

olorin

I had heard about these but had to go through a few not fun steps to get these so figured I'd just post them here if anyone wanted them. They do sound pretty good.

Attachments

• Taylor 314ce - DPA 4011.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Taylor 314ce - Earthworks QTC30.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 959
  • Taylor 314ce - Neumann M147.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Taylor 314ce - Neumann U87.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Taylor 314ce - Scheops CMC64G.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 962
  • Taylor 314ce - Shure SM57.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 977
  • Taylor 314ce - Soundelux E47.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 923
Thanks for posting these! :D I use acoustic IR's like these routinely and a good IR really can be key to getting a good acoustic emulation using an electric guitar.

Hmmm, I'm trying to understand what these IRs actually do. Forgive my naive question, but... are these intended to emulate the sound of a Taylor 314CE when playing your electric guitar? Or are they intended to be played with an acoustic guitar? And if the latter, then what do they actually accomplish, since you're already playing an acoustic? Is this to reproduce the sound of a Taylor "in the room"?

No offense intended, and appreciation all around, but I'm just trying to wrap nmy head around the basic purpose of an acoustic guitar IR.

Thanks

Well - I read about these and used them for the first time with my Martin acoustic, which has a typical undersaddle pickup. Playing thru a PA it sounded good on its own but when you run the acoustic through the AX8 with these IR's it made it sound even better. It actually sounds mic'd up now.

I got the idea from a thread here where they posted a video by Pete Thorn who loved these IR's with his Takamine acoustic-electric. He used the one with the Scheops mic and I must say it sounds really nice.

All I did was add this Scheops IR to the Acoustic patch in Bank 64 and it really sounds great. I disabled all the effects in that patch other than the Tube pre amp and the IR.

I haven't tried these with an electric yet.

Last edited:
I guess there are different ways to use these. I'm probably not thinking clearly, but I think IRs work well with piezo pickups on acoustic guitars or electric, whereas tone match works well with electric. I'm definitely looking for a good solution for both.

Thank you for posting these. I look forward to trying them.

Hmmm, I'm trying to understand what these IRs actually do. Forgive my naive question, but... are these intended to emulate the sound of a Taylor 314CE when playing your electric guitar? Or are they intended to be played with an acoustic guitar? And if the latter, then what do they actually accomplish, since you're already playing an acoustic? Is this to reproduce the sound of a Taylor "in the room"?

No offense intended, and appreciation all around, but I'm just trying to wrap nmy head around the basic purpose of an acoustic guitar IR.

Thanks

I've tried these with an electric to get some acoustic flavored tones. A couple of them sound decent, similar to what you'd get out of one of those acoustic emulator pedals, a little less real than the Variax or Roland GK emulated models, and of course no where near as nice as a true miced up acoustic. But it's another tool if you need that flavor on the fly. There's a nice Nylon string IR out there as well.

I've tried these with an electric to get some acoustic flavored tones. A couple of them sound decent, similar to what you'd get out of one of those acoustic emulator pedals, a little less real than the Variax or Roland GK emulated models, and of course no where near as nice as a true miced up acoustic. But it's another tool if you need that flavor on the fly. There's a nice Nylon string IR out there as well.

Which amp model did you use, and how did you set it up? I didn't spend much time with it, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get a half decent acoustic sim sound from the IRs.

I'll guess they are used for a piezo bridge to make sound more like an acoustic. or using an acoustic with electronics, run through to make sound more like a taylor.

Which amp model did you use, and how did you set it up? I didn't spend much time with it, but I wasn't able to figure out how to get a half decent acoustic sim sound from the IRs.

No amp model. IIRC I used the comp directly to the cab. I didn't save the preset at the time as I was just quickly experimenting with stuff. If anything, you might want to put the Tube Pre after the Cab with the Acoustic IR to more accurately emulate the signal chain you would use with an acoustic. Also helps to use the neck pickup and slightly roll down your tone knob. I'll try and work up a preset over the weekend and post it up.

No amp model. IIRC I used the comp directly to the cab. I didn't save the preset at the time as I was just quickly experimenting with stuff. If anything, you might want to put the Tube Pre after the Cab with the Acoustic IR to more accurately emulate the signal chain you would use with an acoustic. Also helps to use the neck pickup and slightly roll down your tone knob. I'll try and work up a preset over the weekend and post it up.

Great, thanks Will. In the meantime I'll try the routing you suggest.

Thanks for these. I'm not sure what I'm doing either. I have noticed that folks mentions the tube pre. Soon I'll give my acoustics a try. Both have under bridge and mic in the body to a stereo jack. I guess I'll try to get some sounds and then see which I like better, than maybe ways to run both/blend. I'm so strapped for time to figure stuff out. After I sold off acoustic preamp years ago I'd just plug into what ever amp, lower gain, and let ride. Only a few times though nothing show level. I even forget what mike would be picked up. So I'll start again. If anybody has a preset for a bridge/mic acoustic I'd appreciate it to give a try. thanks

I have a few other Taylor IRs I converted from the Helix group. I will try to find the link to the guys Dropbox. All free and he wants no money. He also did a Collings and a couple others that are great. They just need conversion to syx.

Last edited:
I am building a preset for my Taylor 914 acoustic guitar. I will try these but have no idea on what to do with them lol Im new to this. Any help documentations????

I am building a preset for my Taylor 914 acoustic guitar. I will try these but have no idea on what to do with them lol Im new to this. Any help documentations????

See post #4:
All I did was add this Scheops IR to the Acoustic patch in Bank 64 and it really sounds great. I disabled all the effects in that patch other than the Tube pre amp and the IR.

load them into blank user cabs location on the AX8edit . Then use as a cab block in your preset.

See post #4:
Oh Is BANK 64 a patch I have in factory stuff?

Back
Top Bottom