Tax on buying used stuff on Reverb and Ebay

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Who else thinks this is complete BS? I’m talking about individuals selling 5 to 10 items a year. I agree any income reverb or eBay makes off the sale should be taxable but come on!! Someone already paid tax when the item was first bought. If you’re just swapping gear around and not making a business out of it I think it’s pretty shady. Just started this year in NV.
rant over.

I've recently sold a lot of gear to fund my new FM3 and FC6, I paid taxes purchasing the the gear and then again selling it for cash again... then paying taxes again purchasing the FM3... Two things for certain in life taxes and um... the other thing called, what was it again?

After paying ebay their slice, then postage, then PayPal, then Tax, it's rarely worth getting rid of anything anymore.
Grrr
Pauly

Who else thinks this is complete BS? I’m talking about individuals selling 5 to 10 items a year. I agree any income reverb or eBay makes off the sale should be taxable but come on!! Someone already paid tax when the item was first bought. If you’re just swapping gear around and not making a business out of it I think it’s pretty shady. Just started this year in NV.
rant over.

The government invented fuel duties to make fuel more expensive, then hits that new combined total with VAT. So you're paying tax over tax. When you import something customs charges you for the combined total of the actual goods + SHIPPING! And you wonder about having to pay tax over selling used gear? Walking ATM machines, from which they can withdraw unlimited money upon demand, that is how the government sees us.

I've recently sold a lot of gear to fund my new FM3 and FC6, I paid taxes purchasing the the gear and then again selling it for cash again... then paying taxes again purchasing the FM3... Two things for certain in life taxes and um... the other thing called, what was it again?

More taxes.

Just means buy/sell face to face and pay cash. I'll even drive a few hours before I'll pay the government as little as another ten bucks selling a pedal.

If it were that easy. I always throw gear up on CL in my area first. It would be way easier, since I hate going to the post office, much less listing it on another site, fees, shitty buyers, etc. The thing is, I could have something, a guitar or pedal up there, cheaper than I'd list it on Reverb, and get zero bites for two weeks. I throw it on Reverb, and have had things sold in five minutes. I typically price my stuff to sell, since I want it gone, and it usually sells fast. Just not locally.

Maybe it's because they can pay by credit card on there. Or other ways, and I'm only going to take cash. I know when buying, I've missed out on some deals because I don't have $1600 sitting at home and apparently someone else did.

The thing is, I could have something, a guitar or pedal up there, cheaper than I'd list it on Reverb, and get zero bites for two weeks.

I get plenty of bites when I list something on CL. Problem is the bites are 100% things like: buyers offering me $1 for a $1000 guitar, people who don't show up to meet me to see the gear, scam offers of all sorts, and buyers who renege on the agreed-upon price.

I get plenty of bites when I list something on CL. Problem is the bites are 100% things like: buyers offering me $1 for a $1000 guitar, people who don't show up to meet me to see the gear, scam offers of all sorts, and buyers who renege on the agreed-upon price.

Been there. You forgot junk trade offers though.

After paying ebay their slice, then postage, then PayPal, then Tax, it's rarely worth getting rid of anything anymore.
Grrr
Pauly

I couldn't get $1500 cash local for a JCM800 half stack... really sought after, original UK import EL34's, vertical input- perfect.

Was asking 2000, had a buyer at 1500 backed out...

Put it on reverb, sold just the head for $2400, and the cab later locally for $500

I'll take the 3.5% fee and 2.9% paypal and $40 to ship and $20 to box for double the price- it's well worth it.

I have a Roadster combo, can't get 1000 for it local, I don't want to ship it but they never sell under 1550 on ebay- so- might as well.

I couldn't get $1500 cash local for a JCM800 half stack... really sought after, original UK import EL34's, vertical input- perfect.

Was asking 2000, had a buyer at 1500 backed out...

Put it on reverb, sold just the head for $2400, and the cab later locally for $500

I'll take the 3.5% fee and 2.9% paypal and $40 to ship and $20 to box for double the price- it's well worth it.

I have a Roadster combo, can't get 1000 for it local, I don't want to ship it but they never sell under 1550 on ebay- so- might as well.
I told my wife, not to sell my JCM800s, my 1960's cabs are loaded w/EVM12's and Black Labels... if I die then let the God's decide on that fate but as long as I'm walking on earth... no way will I sell them if I can help it... 1980/1990 JCM800's really are the cats meow imo..

Back
Top Bottom