Tape Delay Model questions

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
Hello! I had two questions; trying to emulate my timeline. I notice that the Tape Delay in the Axe when tempo tapping causes warble. Is there any way to defeat that from happening? It doesn't happen on my timeline, and if it does, it's very quiet.

And second, is it possible to get the tape delay to oscillate like you can when you hold down the stack feature like the timeline does? In the axe, it just seems to repeat it in a static kind of way.

Not for the Mono Tape model. Changing the delay time on a real tape delay also causes warble. The Stereo Tape model does not seem to warble the same way the mono one does.

For self oscillation, turn the feedback all the way up. The Master Feedback parameter also goes all the way to 200% as well if you want to go really crazy.

Last edited:
Not for the Mono Tape model. Changing the delay time on a real tape delay also causes warble. The Stereo Tape model does not seem to warble the same way the mono one does.

For self oscillation, turn the feedback all the way up. The Master Feedback parameter also goes all the way to 200% as well if you want to go really crazy.
Got ya! So, the stereo tape delay is actually the one that was causing me the warbling interestingly enough. So instead of stack, would it be the feedback knob I would use instead of the stack feature if I want it to behave like the timeline?

Attach a control switch or expression pedal to the feedback or master feedback and set the desired range to get self oscillation.

If you don't want the warble try a different delay type and copy the EQ/mod settings from the tape mode - you'll be surprised how much more "analog" or "warm" the delays sound with some judicious high cut and some mod applied.

Also, don't forget about the Quad Tape mode in the Multidelay for even more fun!

Yeah 100% feedback should make most of the delay models go into oscillation. Depending on the drive setting in the delay block, some may not fully go into oscillation since the drive compresses the signal down prior to loop back. To compensate, use the filter bands in the EQ page to bump the curve just a tiny bit above the horizontal unity gain line. That will make it go into oscillation much easier.

Attach a control switch or expression pedal to the feedback or master feedback and set the desired range to get self oscillation.

If you don't want the warble try a different delay type and copy the EQ/mod settings from the tape mode - you'll be surprised how much more "analog" or "warm" the delays sound with some judicious high cut and some mod applied.

Also, don't forget about the Quad Tape mode in the Multidelay for even more fun!
Thank you for the heads up! I will have to look into this and experiment! Thank you!!!

Yeah 100% feedback should make most of the delay models go into oscillation. Depending on the drive setting in the delay block, some may not fully go into oscillation since the drive compresses the signal down prior to loop back. To compensate, use the filter bands in the EQ page to bump the curve just a tiny bit above the horizontal unity gain line. That will make it go into oscillation much easier.
Got ya! Yeah, the oscillation gets weird... I think I have to experiment more.

Question regarding delays... I am using an analog delay on channel A and a tape delay on channel B. If I switch channels between the two, there are no trails that follow. Is that the nature of using these two delays together or am I missing something?

If I switch channels between the two, there are no trails that follow. Is that the nature of using these two delays together or am I missing something?
This is working as intended. When you change delay algorithms, the block undergoes a significant state change and it's reset to avoid glitchy audio artifacts. If you want to switch between delay types and have clean trails, use two delay blocks in parallel and bounce between them.

Back
Top Bottom