Tape deck emulation presets?

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone getting any good old school reel tones/colors inside the Axe like Strymon is doing with the Deco?
I'd really like to see what you've got and how you went about it.
I'm wondering if this would be possible with a tape delay block at the start of the chain with 0% feedback, 100% mix, and then going into a light OD? Or maybe the OD first? Maybe some incorporation of the preamp model in the amp block?

There's some great examples of what I'm talking about in the top vid here:
Deco » strymon

The interesting thing about the Strymon pedal is they aren't giving you a specific effect, but an emulation of a system that supply different effects. That's not something you can specifically cop in the Axe-Fx II.

So the question I have for you is: which specific effect, from a tape system, are you looking to achieve? Flanging? Chorus? Delay?

That's a very good point.
I would say it's some of the tape saturation & harmonics is what interests me the most, personally.
You can really hear it at about 40sec into that vid.

have you tried the Tape Drive type in the Drive Block? It's pretty cool in its own right for some tape flavors.

Or try the James Santiago Echoplex EP-3 tonematch ....

I find that ir blended with your favorite cab does wonders.

If you need more of the tape saturation feeel, I also recommend sticking the tape drive at teh end of signal chain, just like if you were recording, it would be the last stop the sound made.

Ah that's a good idea! I had tried the tape drive up front which gave me a sort of EP boost tone.
I'll have to search for that IR too. Did you guys use it + tape drive at the end or without?

Ah that's a good idea! I had tried the tape drive up front which gave me a sort of EP boost tone.
I'll have to search for that IR too. Did you guys use it + tape drive at the end or without?

Here's the link to the James Santiago EP-3 Preamp ....

Axe-Change - Download Other - Echoplex TAPE - by jsantiago

I use it in front of an amp for just the slightest boost and some EQ "smoothing" .... Just like Eddie did back in "the day" ....

You might not like it that way, but that's how the cab-block was designed to be used ....

Easy, buy one and put it in the loop. I just per-ordered mine. This deco is something I really like. It is it's own thing IMHO. Love the hold to slide in and out of TZF on the fly feature.
One classy pedal.

Yeah, it definitely looks impressive. I'm fighting the urge to use my loop for some OCD-related reasons :/

I did manage to get a nice coloration by playing with the gain levels and using the tape drive up front like a standard drive block... also used it in series with a tape delay (the pair run in parallel to main signal after the cab block) with nice results, but the repeats tended to get a little lost when using it this way... and of course that was only on the delayed signal, not the whole thing.

don't forget there's a drive parameter in the tape delay block as well. might be worth a try as an alternative to the drive block

It depends on the amp and the sound you are looking for.

I've done it both ways with good results.

Back
Top Bottom