tap tempo - who uses it?

bluesmostly

Inspired
I have never paid any attention to the 'TEMPO' function on the AXE FX, except to notice that the little green light flashes. What do you guys use it for?

I notice some people who post pics of their MFC set-ups (my MFC is on its way here this week so I am looking for ideas on how I want to set it up) have a 'tap' button assigned with the flashing tempo light.

The Delay block, and a lot of other blocks such as Tempo, Phaser, Chorus etc. have a Tempo parameter.
When setting this to something else than None, tapping the Tempo knob or Tempo switch on your foot controller, controls the rate of the effect.

I don't use it a lot. My general fixed delay settings seem to work for me. Also, I dislike delay being always in sync with the tempo.

When you receive your MFC and use it with the AF II presets, you will find that the tap tempo is tied to your delay. It is useful to use it with tremolo and the looper.

I use Tap tempo all the time, particularly with delays. I tend to use dotted 1/8th delays to add a rhythmic element and fatten my sound when I play arpeggios or chords (footswitched in for flavour). I generally use 1/8 delays during leads. Tap tempo is a very important feature for me.

Terry.

I use it whenever I use a delay.. I set it to 1/8 notes and tape to whatever rhythm the song is in... I want the delays to be in rhythm, I find it annoying when they are not. The guitar is part of an ensemble, not just an isolated voice. (I think)

I use it whenever I use a delay.. I set it to 1/8 notes and tape to whatever rhythm the song is in... I want the delays to be in rhythm, I find it annoying when they are not. The guitar is part of an ensemble, not just an isolated voice. (I think)

do you mean to say that the delay echos are in time (you use the word 'rhythm') with the tempo of the song?

I find some effects benefit from being "in tempo" more than others (i.e. Flanger (with which I use a tap tempo switch))

I like tap tempo and then setting up a button to change between time signature. The only time I don't use tap tempo is when I need a double or slap back effect.

I use it on a few of our songs, where I want the delay to be synced up. Most of our stuff it doesn't matter but a couple of them really need the delay right on tempo. Of course, once in a while in the heat of a gig I'll forget to do it!! ;-)

I have my delay block set up so that if I turn it on, it's a light doubling effect, but if I press tap tempo twice, the same delay block turns on automatically in sync with the tempo. I also have my own foot-controller that works so that if I hold down the tap footswitch, it gives a near-infinite repeat effect with the same delay block!

I generally don't use Tap Tempo on the fly because every song I play has it's own patch with the tempo preset. My A2 is in sight of my drummer who starts each song from the tempo light. If I start a song it's from the tempo light on the MFC.

Basicaly, I personally find it is a good idea to sync the effects with the tempo of the song, but it is absolutelly mandatory when you use the delay repetitions as an ornament to the actual song melody, and not just to add a texture to the guitar sound.

A good example of this last point is the dotted 1/8 delay The Edge often uses in U2 songs, you can clearly hear it here: U2 Where The Streets Have No Name Live At Slane Castle - YouTube
Pay attention to how the repetitions of the delay are there not just to contribute to the "mood" of the guitar, but they actually somehow build the melody The Edge is playing. In order to achieve this effect it is crucial to have the delay completely tempo-synced.
This kind of synced delay effects also appear usually in Pink Floyd: PINK FLOYD - RUN LIKE HELL (Live In Venice 1989) HQ - YouTube
And another very good example: Percussive Effects with the dotted 8th note delay - YouTube

In case your drummer is not using a click-track, tap tempo is the only way to sync the delay.

I have a Roland RC-300 Loop Station connected to the A2 via MIDI. The RC-300 sends sync based on the length of the loop and the A2 adjusts the delay times to stay sync'd. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom