Wish Tap tempo setlist

giantslayer

Experienced
Background: I play guitar at church. I have my one kitchen sink preset. The one thing that changes is the tempo for all of songs (for delay). Current methods are tap tempo (which is hit and miss) or using the dial on the AF3 to set the tempo by number. It works but is not ideal, particularly when the transition between songs is quick.

Wish: The ability to program tap tempos for each song and use a foot switch to move to the “next” tempo.

If you have MIDI available, AxeFX3 accepts MIDI tempo. I have occasionally set up Logic sessions to send tempo to the Axe, so delays are on schedule....

If you have MIDI available, AxeFX3 accepts MIDI tempo. I have occasionally set up Logic sessions to send tempo to the Axe, so delays are on schedule....
I’m toying with the idea of getting an external device to do this with midi clock. It would be nice not to need it though.

If you do preset per song, you can save the tempo per song, but that doesn't help for kitchen sinks....

Last edited:
With the number of preset slots in the Axe III, you could always make multiple copies of your kitchen sink preset, each with the needed tempo saved, and switch presets between songs. You could name each copy with the saved tempo and select them as needed that way.

With the number of preset slots in the Axe III, you could always make multiple copies of your kitchen sink preset, each with the needed tempo saved, and switch presets between songs. You could name each copy with the saved tempo and select them as needed that way.
Good idea. In the front panel screen, you can pretty quickly dial the right tempo preset up and load it between songs....

Background: I play guitar at church. I have my one kitchen sink preset. The one thing that changes is the tempo for all of songs (for delay). Current methods are tap tempo (which is hit and miss) or using the dial on the AF3 to set the tempo by number. It works but is not ideal, particularly when the transition between songs is quick.

Wish: The ability to program tap tempos for each song and use a foot switch to move to the “next” tempo.
Fellow church guitarist here. I just joined the forum in search of an answer to this exact issue. I run an Axe-Fx II XL and have 2 or 3 go-to presets that fit just about any song that we would play. I've been tapping in the tempo for every song, but that's burned me a few times on delay-heavy parts.

I'd rather not have to program a string of presets with song-specific tempos for every setlist. I might use the same preset for all but 1 song in the set, so it would be nice to be able to independently change tempos.

I've thought about getting an external device that sends MIDI beat clock so that I can control tempo independently. Currently experimenting to see if my Boss DD-500 will talk to the Axe-Fx and function as a clock.

Fellow church guitarist here. I just joined the forum in search of an answer to this exact issue. I run an Axe-Fx II XL and have 2 or 3 go-to presets that fit just about any song that we would play. I've been tapping in the tempo for every song, but that's burned me a few times on delay-heavy parts.

I'd rather not have to program a string of presets with song-specific tempos for every setlist. I might use the same preset for all but 1 song in the set, so it would be nice to be able to independently change tempos.

I've thought about getting an external device that sends MIDI beat clock so that I can control tempo independently. Currently experimenting to see if my Boss DD-500 will talk to the Axe-Fx and function as a clock.
You can use something like BandHelper on a phone/tablet to manage a setlist including preset changes and sending midi clock.

I would recommend having the clock only sent for 4-8 bars as it can otherwise be a bit "jittery" coming from the app.

So U-G beat me while I was typing, but anyway:
Prob. lots of ways to get where you want to go, I can only offer what I am using but it does take more than just an Axe. I use BandHelper App to organize my setlists, and it can send Midi CC per song. I have mine sending (among many other things) Midi CC commands to my Axe to Set Tempo per song using Bluetooth plugged into my FM9/FM3. Works like a charm, but you would need phone or tablet in proximity for Bluetooth, and Bluetooth adapter.

I also use a Control Switch on my FM9 to send "Next Song" CC command to BandHelper, so I can really run about everything from my FC/FM9. Phone or tablet can be off to the side, doesn't have to be front and center.

I ended up going the external midi clock route with this little guy:

https://www.disasterareadesigns.com/shop/p/micro-clock

I’ve been pretty happy with how well it’s worked. Does add a couple more cables to my setup for something I would like to see the Axe be capable of handling, but the silver lining is it frees up a button on my fc-12.

Back
Top Bottom