Tap Tempo Reverb?

Delay doesn't set to BPM, it's fixed to milliseconds, or based on an interval like quarter notes, dotted eighth, etc., which are relative to the current tap tempo. The BPM is pretty arbitrary at that point, we're just saying when we want the delay interval to occur based on milliseconds and possibly some subdivision.
By their very nature, quarter notes, dotted eighth notes, etc. are completely tied to BPM. The tap tempo is exactly BPM. Sure, the machine might translate that into milliseconds as part of its processing, but on the man/machine interface level, music notation is all about the BPM. The subdivisions you mention are based on BPM, not milliseconds.

I've tried tempo based reverbs where decay time is set by tempo. It wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. Dialing in by hand/ear works better for me. Predelay is a slightly more appropriate application for tempo based timing, but again, precision can be overrated, and I often find that dialing in what feels right is better than perfection for this application (usually want a bit under, because reverbs have some built in bloom time, or a bit late so the 'appearance" of the reverb stands out more). You can play with this by running a parallel reverb into a 100% wet tempo-based delay, by the way. In either case, I suppose one thing it would be good for is just ballparking a time for someone who isn't great at thinking in ms.

Last edited:
I've tried tempo based reverbs where decay time is set by tempo. It wasn't as cool as I thought it would be. Dialing in by hand/ear works better for me. Predelay is a slightly more appropriate application for tempo based timing, but again, precision can be overrated, and I often find that dialing in what feels right is better than perfection for this application (usually want a bit under, because reverbs have some built in bloom time, or a bit late so the 'appearance" of the reverb stands out more). You can play with this by running a parallel reverb into a 100% wet tempo-based delay, by the way. In either case, I suppose one thing it would be good for is just ballparking a time for someone who isn't great at thinking in ms.
You do have a point there too. I watched a video where a mixer named Marc Daniel Nelson dialed reverb pre delay in by feel, so I understand your point as well.

I think almost in 10 years for the first time i will disagrea with you. Yes predelay is as important as reverb time...and it’s smth most people learn about at a very late stage (ie myself) but still you would not want/try to adjust predelay lets say to 1/16, 1/8 or 1/4 etc and you would stay with ms(time) unless you are going for a special sound. Since the common predelay times are way way way shorter than the reverb time.

But whereas adjusting reverb time with tempo, yes it would make/makes things easier and faster (way easier) if you are trying to avoid masking a certain beat. But ofcourse it needs to take the set predelay time in consideration to be accurate.

So +1 from me to the wish even though it is not smth i am really missing in the Axe Fx.

edit: reading more about it i might agree with you once again (for the most part)🤗

Last edited:
Syncable pre-delay is almost a requirement in a modern reverb. I like to find the subdivision that most closely matches the typical predelay I'd use for a given purpose - for example, I love the sound of about 90ms predelay on lead vocals. If a song is at 120bpm, a dotted 1/32 predelay gives 93.75ms. Now it's perfectly tempo synced and right where I would have put it anyway.

Waves H-Reverb offers syncable predelay. Logic's ChromaVerb and iZoTope's Neoverb also offer syncable predelay, and syncable decay time. We live in the future!

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.23.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.22.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.22.24 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom