Tap Tempo Issue

guitarmike

Experienced
Hello, I have rarely had any real issues with the axefx but I cant figure this one out. Maybe someone would be kind enough to help me out. I am getting a smear on the delay when ever I adjust the tap tempo. It is as if the delay itself is being adjusted. I have searched and found nothing on this. I would be glad to upload an example but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do that either. Can't I just attach an audio file, like a .wav? Sorry for, well..., being stupid. Please help

That is what happens with a tape delay. The tape delay algorithm is authentic right down to the "smear" you get when you adjust the head positions.

Authentic indeed!!! Fortunately the 2290 delay sounds incredible, the tap tempo is clean and precise, and this delay actually suits my needs better.

Some people like it, others do not. Originally all the delays "chirped" when changing the tempo (like many other effects processors). I rewrote the primary delay types so it cross-fades between tempos when you tap a new one to avoid this.

The tape delay type doesn't do this so that you can use it as you would an actual tape delay and get all those cool effects by changing the head position or motor speed.

Some people like it, others do not. Originally all the delays "chirped" when changing the tempo (like many other effects processors). I rewrote the primary delay types so it cross-fades between tempos when you tap a new one to avoid this.

The tape delay type doesn't do this so that you can use it as you would an actual tape delay and get all those cool effects by changing the head position or motor speed.

Does this means, if i control the time via LFO or External i only get these "chirped, smear" effect with the Tape-delay in future?

Don`t know, if this will be the "golden" way to cross-fade delays, because this would mean, that you hear multiple delays ("old" and "Knew" times when tapping tempo in) at once... ?

Does this means, if i control the time via LFO or External i only get these "chirped, smear" effect with the Tape-delay in future?

Really looking forward to experimenting with this. See this is the thing with the axe; so many inspiring tools to work with. I have an old roland space echo, but I cant control it like I can the axe.

Really looking forward to experimenting with this. See this is the thing with the axe; so many inspiring tools to work with. I have an old roland space echo, but I cant control it like I can the axe.

You can do awesome "tricks" by controling the tempo via realtime controllers .... don`t forget to try out the Envelope ;)

I'm getting the pitch smear with every delay type, not just the tape. The drastic pitch modulation is more distracting than a glitch would be.
I have tried just tapping the tempo during a trail-off and that helps. But tapping while playing is unusable for me.

I am using the 2290 delay and get absolutely clean tap tempo adjustments.
Sometimes, you get certain issues with axe edit open.

I'm getting the pitch smear with every delay type, not just the tape. The drastic pitch modulation is more distracting than a glitch would be.
I have tried just tapping the tempo during a trail-off and that helps. But tapping while playing is unusable for me.

Gotta be doing something wrong. Tapping a new tempo cross-fades to a new delay time. If you set a new delay time then you will get smear, as you would with an analog or tape delay.

Well, it's not my first rodeo but it is my first ride on a Fractal.

I'll try a different momentary FS to eliminate bad contacts as a cause. I'm using the rear panel FS jack assigned to tempo.

It's just with my Lexicon, TC, Eventide and Line 6 pieces, they all behave pretty nicely with tap tempo or MIDI clock changing delay times on the fly.

BTW, Cliff and co., you have done amazing work here.

I am very very impressed.

Just want to sort this tempo/ delay thing if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see the reply I sent earlier, so here goes again. This isn't my first rodeo, but it is my first ride on a Fractal :)

I'm using momentary FS to the back panel jack assigned to tempo. BOSS FS-5U. Tried normally closed and normally open. No change.

Tried another FS. No change.

Still getting the smear when tapping, any delay model. Up to about a half-step pitch whammy.

The tape model does sweep the pitch a lot further, but they all do it.

No USB connection, just Axe II standing alone. Still on FW 12.02

I really appreciate the fine work Cliff and Co. have done here, and I'd just like to get this delay/ tempo tap thing sorted.

My Lexicon, TC, Eventide and Line 6 pieces sound pretty happy chasing my foot or MIDI clock tempo changes.

Last edited:
Finally tried setting a Multi-tap delay to Quad Tap and simplified it to a mono delay with only one delay level set above zero. I wanted to see if the tap tempo unwanted pitch whammy still occurs.
It does not! So there is a way to use this Axe II live and keep in sync with a human drummer without the risk of sounding horribly out of tune while tapping tempo FS !

Also be sure to close Axe Edit, or the communication between it and the Axe II will cause audio dropouts.

The Multi-Tap Quad Tap doesn't have the HPF LPF of the Delay block, but I'll live with that.

Matt has replied to my email that they will work on getting the regular delay blocks to behave better for people like us who need to tap while playing.

I finally figured out what is going on here. You must be tapping the tempo repeatedly. This fools the delay into thinking that you are turning the Time knob which is designed to do the pitch smear thing in order to replicate an analog or tape delay.

I'm pretty sure I can fix this so that whenever you tap a tempo repeatedly it doesn't get fooled.

I finally figured out what is going on here. You must be tapping the tempo repeatedly. This fools the delay into thinking that you are turning the Time knob which is designed to do the pitch smear thing in order to replicate an analog or tape delay.

I'm pretty sure I can fix this so that whenever you tap a tempo repeatedly it doesn't get fooled.

Excellent, as this is what seems to be happening to me too, I guess it's out drummer fault for having s sporadic meter.

Back
Top Bottom