Tap tempo issue

Axe II /III owner having an issue with tap tempo button on AX8. I’m used to setting tempos on the fly but when I try to set tempos on the AX8 I’m finding it inaccurate. I’m not sure if it’s a setting or an issue with the firmware or me. I’ve never had trouble on the Axe II. Any ideas on where I should start with this?

The AX8 averages the taps, The Axe II has the option to use the last two taps. I'd love that option in the AX8 also...

Thanks for the info. I can’t see how it averages so poorly if that is the case. I will try an external tap switch to see if it’s the switch. If not, I don’t know if I can keep the unit. I still keep hoping it’s something on my end, a setting or an improper procedure... I just used it live for the first time today and I’m struggling with time based effects due to this issue.

So does that mean anything past the first two taps is moot?

Okay, just read this...I dont' think I opened the tempo before hitting 3 taps. Maybe that's my goose egg...? I just tapped three time while in the preset.
  1. Load the preset.

2. Tap once on the TEMPO footswitch (or open the TEMPO area of the “Config” page of the main menu.)

3. Change TEMPO TO USE to “GLOBAL”.

4. Save the preset.

So does that mean anything past the first two taps is moot?

No. It averages the taps, so the ones following the first two are also contributing to the average.

I didn't know it did this, and I love it. I always thought tap tempo switches should average. Otherwise, if you just spasm a bit on the last tap, you get it wrong.

E.G Suppose you're shooting for 120 BPM... and this is the spacing, in number of seconds, between your 6 taps...

0.54, 0.49, 0.48, 0.52, 0.47

The average of those spacings is .500, which is 120 BPM. If it had just taken the last 2 taps (the last spacing of .47 is the only one considered) you would have ended up with 127 BPM.

No. It averages the taps, so the ones following the first two are also contributing to the average.

I didn't know it did this, and I love it. I always thought tap tempo switches should average. Otherwise, if you just spasm a bit on the last tap, you get it wrong.

E.G Suppose you're shooting for 120 BPM... and this is the spacing, in number of seconds, between your 6 taps...

0.54, 0.49, 0.48, 0.52, 0.47

The average of those spacings is .500, which is 120 BPM. If it had just taken the last 2 taps (the last spacing of .47 is the only one considered) you would have ended up with 127 BPM.
He is talking about the "last 2" option on Axe Fx...

And in that case, it always uses the last 2 taps. If you tap 2 times, the space between those taps is the tempo. If you tap 4 times, the tempo is altered after tap 2 (to the space between 1&2), then again after tap 3 (to the space between 2&3), and finally after tap 4 (to the space between 3&4).

IMO it takes the set tempo into account, so to get from a set tempo of e.g. 100bpm to a desired tempo of 200bpm you have to tap quite a few times. I'll check that tomorrow, but I had the impression that it is like that...

IMO it takes the set tempo into account, so to get from a set tempo of e.g. 100bpm to a desired tempo of 200bpm you have to tap quite a few times. I'll check that tomorrow, but I had the impression that it is like that...
no.

if you tap the desired new tempo correctly in 2 taps, it will go to that tempo. after 2 taps, it will start averaging.

Thanks for all the info guys. I was getting weird things like almost double the tempo or being off at 114 while tapping 92 etc. it just wasn’t making sense and I never had that issue on the Axe 2. I appreciate all of your replies. I will continue to work on this today.

It's simpler to remember "it takes the average" instead of "it takes the average unless it's only 2 taps, in which case... etc". That's all.
sure, but i didn't say it doesn't take the average with 2 taps only. semantics. i was responding to a specific statement that suggested the AX8 takes the current tempo into consideration when only doing 2 taps. this is wrong.

in regard to that statement, the AX8 determines the correct tempo in just 2 taps - it does not require multiple taps to compensate for the current tempo.

this statement is in context. out of context, i am not saying definitively "the AX8 changes protocol depending on if you tap twice only, or if you tap more."

the AX8 averages taps to get the tempo. the Axe-Fx has an option for Last 2 (only) or average.

Okayyyyyyy... latest update.
Tried using an external footswitch for tap tempo and all is well. It works every time. Go figure that one out. Use the onboard and I get glitchy time. Maybe I have a lemon? Hard to imagine as all my fractal gear has always been built to last and worked like a charm every time. I’m staying with an external tap from here in. Not a problem but I wish it wasn’t a mystery. Thanks for all the input gentlemen your help is always greatly appreciated as is this forum.

are you holding the switch down while tapping? if the switch has a HOLD function (like tuner), then the taps will register on the upstroke of the switch.
Okayyyyyyy... latest update.
Tried using an external footswitch for tap tempo and all is well. It works every time. Go figure that one out. Use the onboard and I get glitchy time. Maybe I have a lemon? Hard to imagine as all my fractal gear has always been built to last and worked like a charm every time. I’m staying with an external tap from here in. Not a problem but I wish it wasn’t a mystery. Thanks for all the input gentlemen your help is always greatly appreciated as is this forum.

It's simpler to remember "it takes the average" instead of "it takes the average unless it's only 2 taps, in which case... etc". That's all.
Unless you are making large tempo adjustments like 100 bpm to 200 bpm. As was alluded to earlier, it would take several taps to set the desired tempo. Knowing that it only takes two taps to register a new tempo, making it much quicker, is useful information in this scenario.

are you holding the switch down while tapping? if the switch has a HOLD function (like tuner), then the taps will register on the upstroke of the switch.

It’s a valid question but the answer is no. I’m pretty experienced with using the tap tempo on my Fractals and have never experienced this until now on the AX8. I was wondering if there was a setting awry on that switch but haven’t seen anything to say there is. It defies logic.

It’s a valid question but the answer is no. I’m pretty experienced with using the tap tempo on my Fractals and have never experienced this until now on the AX8.
I’m not sure “previous fractals” worked the same way the AX8 does. I’ve never heard of anyone ever having issue with Tap Tempo on an MFC due to it triggering on the upstroke of the switch. I wonder if it somehow triggered on the down stroke even if you set it to Tuner on hold?

This behavior would definitely explain why an external switch works vs the built in.

Do this as a test - set the Tap Tempo switch’s HOLD function to None. Do you still have the issue? If no, then it was releasing on the upstroke that threw it off.

Back
Top Bottom