Tap tempo CC#

andyp13

Power User
Is it possible to set a CC# to the tap tempo…I want to write some delay tempos into my click-track.. if I can dedicate a CC# I could add in some tempo information etc..

This works fine as you define the MIDI CC for Tap via the Other Tab of the Midi/Remote menu.

I do it this way to minimize the MIDI data stream that the FM3 needs to deal with vs receiving MIDI Beat Clock (as it's already getting PC, Scene CC, Channel CC, and Volume CC data etc), and it works great getting tempo via MIID CC (I use the average option which consistently gets within 1 BPM of the sent tempo, which is fine for delay/modulation/sequencer sync needs)!

I typically send 1 bar of 1/4 note CC's for tap (FM3 in my case).

Last edited:
Yes. See the Other tab of the Midi/Remote menu.
Thanks for the info, I also have a switch on my GT16 which is a tap tempo...would this still work if I also set the tempo via a midi 'file' so I can over ride if I wish etc...

Thanks for the info, I also have a switch on my GT16 which is a tap tempo...would this still work if I also set the tempo via a midi 'file' so I can over ride if I wish etc...
How is the tempo controlled with the file? Are you sending sysex?

In either case, I think it would be fine as anything that sets the tempo works... Whatever does it last "wins".

Couldnt get it to work? I set the CC for the Tap to 13. In Cubase I opened CC13 lane and put some ‘clicks‘ in on each beat of the bar (value 0) but nothing happened, also tried it with a value of 127 but still nothing 🤷‍♂️… what am I doing wrong?

If you want to send tempo from the DAW it's probably better to just use midi beat clock.

I have not used midi to do tap tempo, so I can't offer any real help with getting the settings right.

Are you doing the Midi light on the front panel flashing when the commands are sent? Are other midi changes working?

Couldnt get it to work? I set the CC for the Tap to 13. In Cubase I opened CC13 lane and put some ‘clicks‘ in on each beat of the bar (value 0) but nothing happened, also tried it with a value of 127 but still nothing 🤷‍♂️
If you want to send tempo from the DAW it's probably better to just use midi beat clock.

I have not used midi to do tap tempo, so I can't offer any real help with getting the settings right.

Are you doing the Midi light on the front panel flashing when the commands are sent? Are other midi changes working?
I’m using a Cymatic uTrack 24 to play back the click tracks and some midi info which I prepared on Cubase… I want to be able to switch in the Delay (programmed automatically on the click) and have various tempos double-time and then half time etc.. I was hoping to be able the enter this info in but the Axe doesn’t respond. I set it to CC13 and with this I have 127 steps I tried entering data clicking at each beat of a bar at a value of 0 but nothing happens…. the Tap Tempo on the Axe is set to 13 🤷‍♂️

I’m using a Cymatic uTrack 24 to play back the click tracks and some midi info which I prepared on Cubase… I want to be able to switch in the Delay (programmed automatically on the click) and have various tempos double-time and then half time etc.. I was hoping to be able the enter this info in but the Axe doesn’t respond. I set it to CC13 and with this I have 127 steps I tried entering data clicking at each beat of a bar at a value of 0 but nothing happens…. the Tap Tempo on the Axe is set to 13 🤷‍♂️
I forgot to mention before, but I think the value needs to be 127 and not 0 (although you said you tried it with no difference).

Maybe Fractal support can help or someone who has done this before?

a) I'm using MIDI CC 14 - Value 0, and it works fine coming from Ableton LIVE, with my FM3 for Tap Tempo, works perfectly?

b) You need to define the Axe's MIDI CC # for Tap via the Other Tab of the Midi/Remote menu!

If b is done correctly, and the MIDI channel is set correctly, and you're sending from your interface's correct port etc, and it still doesn't work, you should check your device's MIDI playback with a free MIDI Data Logger like MidiView...

https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview/

...to be sure you're sending everything that is needed, and that it's arriving?

For stage I send from Ableton LIVE MIDI PC's, and MIDI CC's for Scenes, Channels, Input Volume, and Tap Tempo.

For tempo you can also use MIDI Beat Clock, though it requires more overhead which on a Axe 3 is likely moot, but on my FM3 it seems snappier running at 80% CPU with the reduced data stream provided via Tap Tempo CC's.

a) I'm using MIDI CC 14 - Value 0, and it works fine coming from Ableton LIVE, with my FM3 for Tap Tempo, works perfectly?

b) You need to define the Axe's MIDI CC # for Tap via the Other Tab of the Midi/Remote menu!

If b is done correctly, and the MIDI channel is set correctly, and you're sending from your interface's correct port etc, and it still doesn't work, you should check your device's MIDI playback with a free MIDI Data Logger like MidiView...

https://hautetechnique.com/midi/midiview/

...to be sure you're sending everything that is needed, and that it's arriving?

For stage I send from Ableton LIVE MIDI PC's, and MIDI CC's for Scenes, Channels, Input Volume, and Tap Tempo.

For tempo you can also use MIDI Beat Clock, though it requires more overhead which on a Axe 3 is likely moot, but on my FM3 it seems snappier running at 80% CPU with the reduced data stream provided via Tap Tempo CC's.
when I tried it I was just keeping an eye on the tap tempo button on my GT16 To see if it increased/decreased speed or not…. could It be possible that the delay was responding but the flashing of the tap button doesn’t?

when I tried it I was just keeping an eye on the tap tempo button on my GT16 To see if it increased/decreased speed or not…. could It be possible that the delay was responding but the flashing of the tap button doesn’t?
The FM3 Tempo light updates after receiving Tap CC's.

I have no idea about whatever a GT16 is?

The FM3 Tempo light updates after receiving Tap CC's.

I have no idea about whatever a GT16 is?
The GT16 is my RjM foot controller 😊. My tempo is not working via the CC#. Is there anything I need to do on the Axe III other than select a CC in Setup - Other.

I selected CC13 on the Axe III. In the MIDI edit page in Cubase I selected the CC13 lane and put in a click on each beat of the bar at a value of '0' but nothing happened on playback (MIDI outs etc are all correct as the Axe is responding to Scene changes)... also tried with a value of 127.

Attachments

• cc.png
    cc.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 5
Note that I'm using MIDI cables and interfaces for this, not USB which I only use for the editor.

Do confirm that nothing else in the Axe is set to that CC except Tap.

If Scenes are switching via CC, and Tempo isn't being set after setting a CC to Tap under "Other", I don't know what's wrong?

I still suggest logging your MIDI Data via the Axe's Thru Port, which you have to enable, or looping back into your MIDI Interface.

Note that I'm using MIDI cables and interfaces for this, not USB which I only use for the editor.

Do confirm that nothing else in the Axe is set to that CC except Tap.

If Scenes are switching via CC, and Tempo isn't being set after setting a CC to Tap under "Other", I don't know what's wrong?

I still suggest logging your MIDI Data via the Axe's Thru Port, which you have to enable, or looping back into your MIDI Interface.
Sorted…the axe is responding, my controller isn’t…but at least my tempo maps are working 👍

Sorted…the axe is responding, my controller isn’t…but at least my tempo maps are working 👍
I think that makes sense as you are sending the CC to the Axe Fx not the controller... So unless the controller can "follow" the Axe Fx it would have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom