Talkbox Options?

Hi, Digitech Talker will do (with a mic), if you'll manage to find a used one. It's quite big, though, and requires its own power supply.

I use a Banshee fed by the FX send, into a dedicated 2nd SM57 (I have a dual mic holder, the other one is for backing vocals into the PA), into a Mooer Yellow Comp, used just as a low gain preamp, into the FX return of the AX8. Since the XLR out of my AX8 also goes into the PA, so does the talk box when I engage a scene that uses it. Works extremely well and keeps levels between scenes under control.

I use a Banshee fed by the FX send, into a dedicated 2nd SM57 (I have a dual mic holder, the other one is for backing vocals into the PA), into a Mooer Yellow Comp, used just as a low gain preamp, into the FX return of the AX8. Since the XLR out of my AX8 also goes into the PA, so does the talk box when I engage a scene that uses it. Works extremely well and keeps levels between scenes under control.
That's a great idea! Don't know why I've never thought about it.

Have you ever tried using the optical comp in the AX8 in place of the Moore?
Like I've mentioned before, the function of the yellow comp here is to act as an improvised mic preamp. If you try to plug the SM57 directly into the FX return of the AX8 there's simply not enough signal strength no matter how much gain you use in subsequent blocks. An actual mic preamp would be the correct solution, but I don't know of any as compact as the mooer and that runs on a simple 9V supply. Besides the yellow comp works perfectly fine for this application.

Can you post a pic of video of your setup? Sorry but I don't fully get it how you are doing it.

The MXR Talkbox is the best talkbox I’ve used. Built-in amp, easy to setup, always attracts attention.
Yek,
Curious how you're running your MXR? I have one too and I prefer to have some effects in the chain so I run one of the 1/4" outs to the input of the MXR and no return. Works, but I'm sure there's a better method. Do you just run yours before the AX8?

Can you post a pic of video of your setup? Sorry but I don't fully get it how you are doing it.

If this helps, I believe this is how he's doing it. Guitar in as normal. FX loop send from the AX8 into the talkbox, no output of the talkbox as there would be no purpose. FX return is a SM57 attached to the talkbox tube, boosted by the yellow comp pedal, and running back into the AX8. AX8 main out as normal.
As far as setting up the preset it should be pretty straight forward depending on what you want to do. By the mock photo below of AX8-edit you could have your normal "dry" rig, then by a footswitch you would activate the talkbox. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm having a brain fart as to if the FX loop block would need to be linked to the signal chain before the amp block as well (unlike in the photo). With this setup you could do 100% dry, 100% wet talkbox, 50/50 or really any combination. You could even run the talkbox mic into effects such as delay and reverb as well.
Talkbox1_zpsb6pfiar9.png

Back
Top Bottom