Talkbox livin on a prayer

No 2-axis pedal will ever match the many degrees of control that your mouth offers.

That said, here's a convincing Axe-Fx approach:

1. Amp, Cab, Formant, in that order.
2. Starting Vowel OOO, Mid Vowel AAA, End Vowel AAA - but I really didn't use it

Maybe it doesn't have quite the power of the real talkbox, but crank this over a cover band and I guarantee people will run to come looking for the tube.
It also helps when one learns the song. I didn't :)

Bravo!!!!!

Listening back today, the main difference I hear is in the breadth of frequencies. The preset lacks low end. One thing with the real talkbox is that you can really open up and get "bigger" in addition to the vowel quality. Maybe there is also some low frequency dry signal blended back in on this particular recording. Who knows...

Here's a tweak on Axe-Change:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=655

Last edited:
I could do with a formant filter too.

I have the same BT. Your tone is closer - Im just using a general tone rather than cloning ritchies.

whats the best way to turn this patch up a bit? Volume seems a little bit low when I change over to the Marshall preset after?

either up the amp level or hit layout and page right three times to get to the patch level page

Listening back today, the main difference I hear is in the breadth of frequencies. The preset lacks low end. One thing with the real talkbox is that you can really open up and get "bigger" in addition to the vowel quality. Maybe there is also some low frequency dry signal blended back in on this particular recording. Who knows...

Here's a tweak on Axe-Change:

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=655

I add in some of the dry as well to go along with the talk box and our sound an blends to get the right mix so what Matt suggests is accurate as I think Richie did some of that on the record too.

No 2-axis pedal will ever match the many degrees of control that your mouth offers.

2. Starting Vowel OOO, Mid Vowel AAA, End Vowel AAA - but I really didn't use it

Maybe it doesn't have quite the power of the real talkbox, but crank this over a cover band and I guarantee people will run to come looking for the tube.
It also helps when one learns the song. I didn't :)

wow Matt, that's friggin' awesome... thanks!

Thanks for this. It totally sounded money tonight when we played the song...IN CHURCH! :D Everyone thought the talkbox sounded great. Maybe it's not perfect like the real thing but it sure did a reasonable approximation.

I put the end vowel at EEE for some slight tweaks during that lick in verse 2 ("..he used to make it talk so slow...") And had my expression pedal auto activate it. Works great. Also, I set the mix around 70% or so to get some of the dry signal back in. That helped immensely.

Last edited:
Interestingly, all this.
Someone has tried with Quantum 2.x ?
You can see a little screenshot settings (most instructive to learn).
Thank you all :)

Back
Top Bottom