Talk Me Off The Ledge!

And you hit the nail on the head with the perpetual "upgrade, lose money" cycle I'm in. I baby my gear and it never leaves my house. When I sell (and thereby lose money), everyone always says how great of shape everything is in...like new condition except I'm losing money in the process!!! Thank goodness the Axe has cured that cycle on the amp side of the house!

man do i know that cycle all too well. i'm in the same boat. problem is that i only trust myself to provide quality used gear. if i had a little more faith that the guy on the other end of the ebay transaction was more like me and in the same cycle, i could buy used stuff in perfect condition and take a much smaller hit when i sell it to fund the next toy. theoretically you look at that ebay feedback record to get that comfort level. maybe one of these days i'll wise up and do that!

i agree with the try before you buy recommendation. no doubt those focals will sound excellent and they are obviously useful beyond just powering the axe, but playing guitar with studio monitors has a different "vibe" to it than playing through guitar speakers (or larger format speakers like PA speakers). i also know that trying to evaluate something like this on a showroom floor in front of strangers watching you play is pretty far from ideal.

it's a tough call for sure. losing coin on a pristine guitar that you really like only to find that the studio monitors aren't exactly what you were looking for would be a bummer. i think your best bet is to take your axe in and listen to the floor models. also, if the guy's amp clones have effects loops, maybe he'll even let you run the axe into the return of one of those to give you a sense of how different it is to hear the axe through an actual guitar speaker. if you find that you prefer the latter, it may be a strong clue that studio monitors won't do it for you.

good luck!

The moral of this thread is:

It's impossible to fully satisfy your GAS when married without resorting to deception and subterfuge!

Let this be a warning to all you singles out there ........ single ladies that is. :twisted

As I mentioned before, he's a tube amp bigot who builds Marshall clones.

I assure you that with the Axe II firmware 2 out, bring in the Axe II and if those Focals are as good as you say they are after 5 seconds of playing that 'tube amp bigot' will fall to the floor sobbing uncontrollably! Everything he believes in will be reduced to nothing, he will spend the rest of his life empty and soulless. And you, you might end up with some damn fine monitors!

I hear you man. With me though, he's more likely to say, "My God, are you seriously attempting 'In My Dreams' by Dokken again???" :lol

I've had the Fpcal Solo6 Be with the ultra for the last 2 years.

For me the Solo6 are not just a pair of monitors , they are ear training.

I ve found that after the Focal's + ultra I stopped having random GASing and concentrated on guitar GASing because I realized my guitar tone always came through no matter what model/cab I was using. So I concluded that more variations in tone = more guitars :(

So I say, get the focals

I've had the Fpcal Solo6 Be with the ultra for the last 2 years.

For me the Solo6 are not just a pair of monitors , they are ear training.

I ve found that after the Focal's + ultra I stopped having random GASing and concentrated on guitar GASing because I realized my guitar tone always came through no matter what model/cab I was using. So I concluded that more variations in tone = more guitars :(

So I say, get the focals

Totally agree on this one. I've been noticing this more and more since I got my Axe Fx. It's not so bad when you're playing only one style, but when you're going for, say, a vintage Marshall lead, and your guitar is geared toward a more modern metal sound, you tend to find that there's always something missing.

khawk: Perhaps you could ask a few of your neighbors if they'll pay you to mow their lawn every week? :D

Also, glad to see that you actually think your wife is cool. The whole "ball and chain" mentality is all to pervasive these days. It's refreshing to see someone who actually likes the person they once fell in love with.

But yeah, I'd say try and keep the guitar. You'll probably end up missing it later.

Seriously, this is too easy? Plan A: You skim enough cash to cover the cost, tell your wifee' you got a great deal on some used speakers (hide the boxes and any signs of the purchase). Plan B: If you're too skeerd to go that route, tell your wifee' you are going to get a part time job to cover the cost of the speakers, and that you won't be able to spend as much time at home until you can raise the funds. She will most likely cave (unless she doesn't like your company).

Seriously, this is too easy? Plan A: You skim enough cash to cover the cost, tell your wifee' you got a great deal on some used speakers (hide the boxes and any signs of the purchase). Plan B: If you're too skeerd to go that route, tell your wifee' you are going to get a part time job to cover the cost of the speakers, and that you won't be able to spend as much time at home until you can raise the funds. She will most likely cave (unless she doesn't like your company).

Plan C: sell her shoes on eBay. ;)

I just found this thread searching for users who have the Focal Solo 6 Be monitors.

To the OP, how'd things work out? Did you get them? Do you like them? Is it worth the extra money to get the Solo 6 monitors instead of CMS 65s? Thanks.

p.s. You still married? :)

jshirkey,

Well...the answer is...nothing yet! Hahaha. I have a good story to type up and throw in the lounge. I started to this morning but got caught up with work. Bottom line is, I won't be getting the Solo 6Be's and I'm really looking closely at the Dynaudio's and A7X's. Probably one of those two will be in my home next week. Interesting story over the past several months though. I'll type it up tonight and throw it in the lounge!

Oh, and I'm still happily married with two beautiful little girls!

jshirkey,

Well...the answer is...nothing yet! Hahaha. I have a good story to type up and throw in the lounge. I started to this morning but got caught up with work. Bottom line is, I won't be getting the Solo 6Be's and I'm really looking closely at the Dynaudio's and A7X's. Probably one of those two will be in my home next week. Interesting story over the past several months though. I'll type it up tonight and throw it in the lounge!

Oh, and I'm still happily married with two beautiful little girls!

Thanks for the reply. I'll look for your post in the lounge pretty soon, I hope!

I actually just resolved this last night. I decided in favor of the Adam A7X's. To me, they sound unbelievable. If you combine that with the special deal Musician's Friend is doing (buy one, get one half price), I couldn't turn it down!

Yeah, it's not actually on their website. You have to call them directly and even then, the sales people don't seem to be aware of the offer (which is understandable since they have so many products). You can pull up a version of the catalog on the web, just Google "April Musician's Friend. It's on page 131 and has an offer code with it. It took awhile on the phone with them but they took care of it.

Back
Top Bottom