Talk Me Off The Ledge!

khawk

Inspired
I made the mistake of going to my local Focal dealer the other day and listened to the Solo 6be's. They're absolutely stunning speakers. My current setup at home is (soon to be) Axe FX II through two QSC K12's. I have no intention of ever playing outside my home. I picked up the guitar a few years ago and decided to teach myself something I always wanted to learn. I realize this setup is a little large for my home office but it works for me!

So here's my dilemma. My wife gave me a pretty good budget years ago for building a nice setup. The one caveat was, any purchases in the future needed to be funded by the sale of gear (with exceptions here and there). To fund the purchase of the 6be's, I would have to sell my QSC K12's w/Ultimate speaker stands which is no problem. Love the speakers but I think everyone would agree the 6be's are better...they should be for roughly double the price. HOWEVER, I would have to part with my beloved Ernie Ball John Petrucci guitar. The guitar is incredibly easy to play, sounds equally incredible and has the piezo option which I think is really cool.

This would leave me with one guitar and one helluva FRFR setup. I need a voice of reason though. If you're in my position, would you go for it? Ultimately, I know it's my decision but I'm not thinking rationally at the moment!

Thanks!

I have the Ultimate stands with the Focal CMS 65's sat on top, and they are superb..i love the Focal's.

I sold my Jem V7, Slash Les Paul, and a couple of other guitars, now i only have one amazing custom, a decent acoustic..works for MY needs.

Hard decision..but really it's only yours to make!! :)

Last edited:
Entirely your decision - who attached are you to the MMEB JP ?
If it was me though, I´d go with a nice set of studio monitors and loose the QCS and MMEB JP in a heartbeat.....but I´m not you, so you decide ,-)
The Focals are nice, but if you haven´t already I´d advice you to try out a few other studio monitors before parting with your money. You should at least check out the Adam A7X and the Dynaudio BM5A mk II.
I´d (and have) go with the Dynaudios

what guitar would you be left with? can you sell that one instead? The JPMM is a great guitar. I feel your pain tho....lol

Personally, once I bond with a guitar I'll never let it go. It's the musical instrument. Picking up a different guitar from time to time will inspire me more than the fidelity of my speakers.

if you're strictly an at home player those QSC's are definitely overkill so selling those is a no-brainer. i personally have a harder time giving up guitars than i do giving up other related gear.

i'd probably sell the QSC's and buy as much monitor as i could with the funds. maybe do something really nice for the wife to see if she'll give you a little leeway.

All good points and thanks to all. As far as the guitar I would be left with, it's a Heritage H-150. I HAVE to hold on to it for awhile longer as the place I bought it from has a 100% upgrade policy with the only caveat being you have to hold onto it for a year. It's a great guitar but I'll probably trade it in on a PRS. The Heritage just doesn't hold it's value so it's a pretty valuable ticket I'm holding with their upgrade policy.

Auditioning other monitors is a great idea, it's just so hard to find them where I am. I'm actually amazed I could find a Focal dealer.

MHD1970, that's not a bad idea, selling the QSC's and buying whatever they will fund. Hmmmm...I'll have to research what monitors that could buy.

Sell the QSC's and get a waiver from the wifey for the difference. Explain how getting rid of the guitar will only cost more in the long run as you no doubt will buy another at a later date. You said she makes exceptions from time to time... this is clearly ONE OF THOSE TIMES! :)

Cobbler,

I've already had to cash that one in...well, not quite yet. But when my name comes up on the wait list, there will be a $600 difference in my proceeds from the Ultra and purchasing the II. Damn this mess I've gotten myself into! If I would've just stayed away from that Focal dealer. It was almost like a bait and switch. He also makes his own version of classic Marshall amps. I stopped by to check them out just to pass the time. The next thing I knew, I was pulled in by the Focal tractor beam in his home theater room! I never saw it coming!

You can always buy gear including guitars... that said I would keep the guitar you like the most and save or sell whatever else you can to make up the difference. If you have to sell gear, later down the road re-buy what you had to let go of... see problem solved!

Hmm, you need a rathole fund. Personally, I wouldn't part with any guitar that I play regularly, so that's what I'd do. But maybe you could convince her that you need to do the purchase before selling off stuff, so you can compare things to be sure it's the right choice for you. Once you have everything, the decision will be easier, you tell her. Then maybe you can convince her you need the new gear and you need to keep the guitar. Maybe you won't need to sell anything.

HA, right...

Have you tried the Solo 6be's with an AxeII? If you haven't I'd suggest you keep the JP and wait until you get the AxeII and try that with your K12's and the Solo's before selling or buying anything.

I was unhappy with my Event ASP8's with an Ultra & AxeII, I just couldn't get the eq'ing right. I finally decided to buy monitors specifically for use with the AxeII. AxeII firmware version 2 came out yesterday and now the AxeII sounds incredible with the ASP8's. Wait for your AxeII and make sure you aren't happy with the K12's before selling and spending.

I still stand by my reply about selling the QRS's and the MMEB JP as you can always re-buy the MMEB JP at a later time , but if your bond to the MMEB JP is very strong, you have a few options

1) sell the QRS's only and look for used studio monitors - you might save quite a bit if you wait for the right deal.
2) save up for it - old fashion way
3) if you like the MMEB better than the Heritage, and the dealer with the upgrade policy stock Focals or other studio monitors that you´d like, wait and trade/upgrade form Heritage instead

I´d strongly advice you to get the studio monitor that you want, not just the most monitor you can get from the proceeds form selling the QRS's.
If you don´t end up with what you want, this whole exercise is futile and just a stepping stone for your next sell-upgrade-loose money in the process cycle

Last edited:
Randolfo - Not a bad idea at all. Rathole fund...hmmm.... Haha!

MaxTwang - I haven't tried the Solo6 be's with the Axe II and that's a great point. I thought about asking the guy if I could bring my II in once my number comes up but here's my problem with that. As I mentioned before, he's a tube amp bigot who builds Marshall clones. Regardless of how good everything sounds, I know he would sit there and pick it apart. He nearly hit the floor when I told him I've sold all of my amps (all two of them) and have gone this route. He obviously had never heard the Axe or any other worthwhile modeler. He kept telling me how the Line6 modeler he had in the other room couldn't come close to matching the JTM45's he builds. He's a small shop but I wonder if they get loaners they could give out for the day??? I'll have to ask but I think I already know the answer.

GM Arts - That's a heck of a suggestion and I had to pull that one out to pay for the difference between the Ultra and the II! Hahaha.

Rocket Brother - All excellent points...especially about buying the JP down the road when the dust settles. I absoultely love that guitar but I know I could find another one in good condition. And you hit the nail on the head with the perpetual "upgrade, lose money" cycle I'm in. I baby my gear and it never leaves my house. When I sell (and thereby lose money), everyone always says how great of shape everything is in...like new condition except I'm losing money in the process!!! Thank goodness the Axe has cured that cycle on the amp side of the house!

Back
Top Bottom