Talk me off the ledge

But a modeler into an FRFR monitor is usually not what the audience hears.
If you have your modeler going to FOH, it IS what the audience hears... Just that the "monitors" are probably bigger ;)

Especially with bigger bands/venues, the audience isn't hearing a lot of the sound of an amp on stage. They're getting the feed from a mic'd cabinet or a modeled rig.

But a modeler into an FRFR monitor is usually not what the audience hears.

Been discussed 1000 times... I don't care. Amps sound and feel better to me and I am no longer gigging so that is irrelevant to me. I'm playing at home and jamming with friends. I would NEVER use a modeler for that and I have seriously tried to make it work for me. I have owned several FRFR monitors including the Forum favorites (Xitone, CLR, FBT, RCF, Matrix, Fractal into power amp return of tube amp, etc). They all sounded strident and artificial to me. A FRFR monitor will never sound and respond like playing through a combo amp with an open back cabinet, which is my preference.

I do use the FM9 weekly at Church with in ear monitors because it is by far the best solution for that setting. And I love it for recording. I also occasionally use the FM9 for effects with my amp but I'm really more of a straight into the amp kind of guy. But if I were still gigging, I would use the amp.

YMMV.

Been discussed 1000 times... I don't care. Amps sound and feel better to me and I am no longer gigging so that is irrelevant to me. I'm playing at home and jamming with friends. I would NEVER use a modeler for that and I have seriously tried to make it work for me. I have owned several FRFR monitors including the Forum favorites (Xitone, CLR, FBT, RCF, Matrix, Fractal into power amp return of tube amp, etc). They all sounded strident and artificial to me. A FRFR monitor will never sound and respond like playing through a combo amp with an open back cabinet, which is my preference.

I do use the FM9 weekly at Church with in ear monitors because it is by far the best solution for that setting. And I love it for recording. I also occasionally use the FM9 for effects with my amp but I'm really more of a straight into the amp kind of guy. But if I were still gigging, I would use the amp.

YMMV.

Just curious, what combo amp are you typically using?

For the record, although my EVH 50w FX loops* and Powerstage + cabs setups work well for me, I've had no success with FRFR cabs/wedges either.

* I didn't have as much success with some other loops. I'm guessing it's because the EVH loops aren't tube-buffered.

Just curious, what combo amp are you typically using?

Amp wise, I have used a variety through the years. Right now my main amp is a RedPlate Blues Machine 66 head with an open back 1x12 cabinet. I just sold a '62 Deluxe to a friend who wanted it (probably should have kept it), and I'm looking at picking up a Tone King Imperial MKII or a Mesa California Tweed.

But as I said, I play weekly at church so in that setting I need a silent stage and lots of ambient effects. Modeling is definitely the best option.

But if I'm jamming with friends or playing for my own enjoyment, I'll go with an amp every time. I'm a low to mid-gain type of player and there's nothing guitar related that I find more enjoyable than a Tele in open-G tuning straight into a Tweed style amp cranked up playing Stones songs. Yes, I'm old.

I'm looking at picking up a Tone King Imperial MKII or a Mesa California Tweed.
Nice. I had a California Tweed 1x12 combo. Really nice amp. I'm not a huge fan of the tweed-style breakup/gain as it just doesn't suit my typical sound but I loved the the cleans on that thing.

Yeah, with Tweed amps there is a sweet spot on the edge of breakup that I really enjoy. Push it past that and the low end falls apart with the cathode biased Tweeds. I don't care for that sound. The fixed bias amps hold together a bit better. And I'm a single coil guy, so that's not pushing the front end of the amps as hard as with humbuckers. But we've drifted way off topic here...

Back
Top Bottom