Talk box with Axe-Fx III

reini

Inspired
Hi, I am thinking about buying a talk box for my Axe FX III (runs into powered studio monitors). My choices would be either the MXR M222 or the Dunlop Heil HT-1. I noticed that the way to route the guitar signal for each box is quite different when using a regular amp(s).
Does anyone uses one of those boxes? Is the the FX Send signal "strong" enough to drive the talk box or do I have to use one of the outputs (2, 3 or 4) in the back of the Axe FX?
Thx for your help.

I use a Rocktron Banshee (or Banshee II) or MXR before the input of the Axe III.
Works fine that way. I haven't tried to patch it in/out of the signal chain though,
just as front end.

I use a Rocktron Banshee (or Banshee II) or MXR before the input of the Axe III.
Works fine that way. I haven't tried to patch it in/out of the signal chain though,
just as front end.

I actually used to patch my Banshee in from an effects send in my AXE II. I just needed to run power to it, and one guitar cable - from the AXE II out to the talk box input, since it didn't have to run a signal back at all. (It picks up the talk box sound from your mouth via your vocal mic - only stated here for clarity if someone unfamiliar with how a talk box works reads this thread)

I actually used to patch my Banshee in from an effects send in my AXE II. I just needed to run power to it, and one guitar cable - from the AXE II out to the talk box input, since it didn't have to run a signal back at all. (It picks up the talk box sound from your mouth via your vocal mic - only stated here for clarity if someone unfamiliar with how a talk box works reads this thread)

Yes sir, that's how I ran with my II as well. Good catch, you are right, thank you.

Thanks everybody ...
@yek - how do you set up the MXR? Guitar out - MXR - Instr. IN or do you use the FX send?

It's not going into the Axe-Fx. The mic picks up the signal and goes into FOH.

But if I would, I'd connect the mic to Input 3 on the Axe-Fx, with a mic preamp or something in between, assign it its own row, and make it go out Output 1 or it's own output.

It's not going into the Axe-Fx. The mic picks up the signal and goes into FOH.

But if I would, I'd connect the mic to Input 3 on the Axe-Fx, with a mic preamp or something in between, assign it its own row, and make it go out Output 1 or it's own output.
I am not planing to run the mic signal through the axe. It would go straight to my line mixer or the DAW.

Talkbox Synth pedal. Check it out. Its a great solution.
I will search the web for more infos. Thx

@yek , I like the method you suggest, and do something similar. What I do is to send a signal via AF3 to MXR via output 3, then send back the mic vian input 3. I then amplify using the tube amp (or if I want to add extra tone a clean amp), then add a bit of EQ, and mix back using the mixer block. This way I can run, if desired, the talkbox and the regular amp. This works quite well for certain songs (e.g. living in a prayer, or hair of the dog, etc.).

Last edited:
I am not planing to run the mic signal through the axe. It would go straight to my line mixer or the DAW.

I will search the web for more infos. Thx
I love it because it eliminates the very unhygienic tube entirely. It connects to your vocal mic and processes the sound. Also makes unique and interesting synth vocoder type things.

I use a Rocktron Banshee II before the input of the Axe FX. It goes into a Little Lehle looper switcher so I can stomp it on and off while leaving the Banshee engaged all the time.

I love it because it eliminates the very unhygienic tube entirely. It connects to your vocal mic and processes the sound. Also makes unique and interesting synth vocoder type things.
I did some research about the Talkbox Synth Pedal today. In my opinion it's a pretty versatile box and most likely will definetely fit all my needs regarding the talkbox aspect ... and I assume the additional synth effects are fun to play with too. I also like the "no tube / mic only" setup.
Thanks to all for sharing their experience!

I did some research about the Talkbox Synth Pedal today. In my opinion it's a pretty versatile box and most likely will definetely fit all my needs regarding the talkbox aspect ... and I assume the additional synth effects are fun to play with too. I also like the "no tube / mic only" setup.
Thanks to all for sharing their experience!
Glad I could help! Good luck if you decide to go with this! I’ve had no issues whatsoever. I’m sure you saw it also offers effects and subtle pitch correction for your vox, too (if you sing).
The ONLY thing that’s somewhat different: if you’re out of shape, like WAAAAAY out of shape, it’s tough to keep air on the mic for long passages you want talkbox fx. A traditional talkbox shoots the air into your mouth so all you’re doing is vowel shapes. With this pedal, you only get the effect upon signal coming in from the mic. I’m in less good shape than I care to admit and don’t have a problem to the point of failure, but for a song like living on a prayer, after the verses I feel like I just walked up a flight of stairs.

Back
Top Bottom