Taking the final plunge.

bishop5150

Fractal Fanatic
I've been using an Axe-Fx since 2013. Currently have the XL along with an AX8 that I've been gigging for about a year now while the XL stays at home. During this time I've still owned tube amps. Well, this weekend I guess I'm fully committing to the Fractal family and selling my last tube amp. This will be the first time since 1991 that I have not owned a 100 watt amp and 4x12 cab. But, I'm fully committed to my Fractal rigs. My tube amps have been collecting dust over the last year. So time to go and find new homes. I sold one halfstack about 9 months ago and another about a week ago and my last one is leaving the nest this weekend. The end of an era. But I will not miss them. As far as I'm concerned I have the ultimate guitar rig. Thank you Fractal for these amazing pieces of gear.

Last edited:
Congrats, bro! Either it feels bittersweet, or like a weight has been lifted off.

I never play my old rig, but keep it for sentimental value haha. I guess I'm more of a bittersweet guy.

I was holding on to them for sentimental value but now with a teenager who drives and graduating high school this year I think some extra cash outweighs that nostalgia sitting in the corner collecting dust. LOL!

Last edited:
I'm afraid to say I'm hording about 10 amps still :)

I'm mainly a Fender guy so no 4x12 cabs. I do have a sweet vintage Marshall JCM800 50w head but only a Marshall 2x12 to go with it.

Sounds like a very reasonable decision! I've owned a Fractal product since buying my Ultra from them years ago. With my original AxeFXII I can't imagine going back to my tube amps, but I still can't make myself sell my Mesa Boogie Mark IIC- that I called and ordered in 1983. Nostalgia I suppose. Cheers!

I still have one tube amp
Fender Champion 600
One switch one volume no tone controls
Volume is always maxed and control everything from the guitar.
Meat and potatoes as you get.
I like practicing with it makes me fight a bit

I'll be doing the same soon. My mark v has been away for repair for 4 weeks and I haven't missed it one bit.

Will I ever use it again ? Probably not so it will get sold off or oars exchanged on a Suhr or a PRS or a Musicman

Ya I can't see myself ever using them again so might as well sell them. I thought of maybe holding on to one or two 4x12 cabs for bigger shows but I did a House of Blues show a few weeeks ago with just the AX8 and 2 XiTone wedges run in stereo as backline and it was plenty loud enough. We use stage scrims in front of our gear so you can't see what's on stage anyway. I think I'll hold on to my 2x12 Mesa cab though just in case. I still have a Matrix GT1000 so I guess technically I still own an amp. :p

I only have one amp (if you can call it that) left, a Blackstar Fly 3, if I take a guitar on Holiday with me, this is what I pack. Battery powered and does the job!! Might get an iRig and get rid of this one as well!!

I sold a Marshall half stack last week. I'm thinking about selling some of my tube rack amps but I like to use them for shooting Ir's so I'll keep at least one. I will not get rid of my KRANK wall of chrome cabs though, they are too cool!

I am glad to hear this from you guys, I have a Mark V and cabinets etc. and was an FX8 owner.
I am considering an AX8 and selling off my Mesa. Most of the tones I seek are so various that the only way I can be satisfied is with an AX8.
The Mark V and FX8 are great but was always trying to get something different out of them depending on my mood or gig situation.
I will probably keep my 2x12 cabinets just because I will feel like I still own an amp as well ;)

Thank you both Bread and Bishop5150 for all of the help you provide on the forum

I am glad to hear this from you guys, I have a Mark V and cabinets etc. and was an FX8 owner.
I am considering an AX8 and selling off my Mesa. Most of the tones I seek are so various that the only way I can be satisfied is with an AX8.
The Mark V and FX8 are great but was always trying to get something different out of them depending on my mood or gig situation.
I will probably keep my 2x12 cabinets just because I will feel like I still own an amp as well ;)

Thank you both Bread and Bishop5150 for all of the help you provide on the forum

I have an FX8 as well which I'll sell. I found that a loud amp behind me is nowhere near the tone I get from two Yamaha DXR10 speakers in front of me with the axe Fx. It's a hell of a lot easier to carry as well .

Amp in the room ? No thanks ;)

Ya, I sold my FX8 when I got the AX8. I figured I really didn't need it and I was right. But it sounded great with my amps.

Last edited:
I had a Mesa Mark V Combo (awesome but too heavy) and a Mesa Mark 5:25 (much lighter) that I held on to for a while. I'm over it.... sold them both and just have the AXEFX.... No regrets. Love the AXE still cant believe how much satisfying tone I can get out of it not to mention the full tool box of effects and tweaks. I'm in Guitar geek nirvana... lol.

I am a total convert.... like Bread said above.... Amp in the room.... nah ... don't miss it all.

Back
Top Bottom