Tails from the Road---- Ray Guns, Mono PA, Smoke filled Bars.... Patches.....

sweet tones and playing Larry! Sorry you have to be in the smoke filled air. I can't breathe at all in that atmosphere anymore. And I used to smoke many years ago.
cheers,
Jeff

Hey Solo Act, thank you, o that back pack is way to big for planes. I have Briggs and Riley 20" carry on that both the axe fx II and MFC and two EV-5's with the cables cut down fit in. I can get that on most planes although right now I'm sitting at a gate in Atlanta airport and one of those small planes just pulled up. I hope its not mine. :0) even this bag won't fit on this one.

Yes, I don't use axe Edit, it's not for me. I have always felt the need to be able to adjust on the fly from the front panel. I do sometimes during the show. I use global blocks for this reason. If my lead tone is not doing it or the clean sounds to bright in a particular show I can adjust it on one preset quickly and I know that all the clean presets or my lead tones with specific effects will all sound closer in volume and tone.

Yek. Straight from the front. I saved it "dump preset to USB" into sysex librarian on a MacBook pro. Hey Yek, in the future would you mind being the first try with any presets I post? I'd send them to you first and can tell me if they are too whack for the forum? :0)

Catnick, thank you very much.

Hey Chris, thanks in the lead presets are one of my ray gun sounds. It sounds better when you hit high notes. :0) also when the ray gun is on that expression pedal 2 changes it a bit. I'm constantly messing with the ray gun sound so it's way different then the type of sound I used when I played at your store.

Mr guitarabuse, I hear ya, I have friends living over in china and I hear about the smoke every time I talk with them. They are working on bringing me overly there to play some shows but they keep warning me about the smoke. Still me and my asthma look forward to visiting china.

Thanks guys I hope that some of you make it out to some of the shows if they are close by. It's always great to meet fractal forum friends. Actually I think someone who either owns one or is thinking about getting one has come out to every show. Im doing a lot less explaining why I'm playing through a VCR these days. That's big credit to fractal. People know about it!!!

Shows are listed on my web page.

Larry

Bummer Larry, You are not coming to Denver :(

Larry, as always, thanks for sharing your knowledge and patches. I don't need to tell you, but I will anyway, that you have a phenomenal ear for tone and a great touch on the guitar.

Looking forward to catching your Atlanta gig on July 28.

Larry, concerning the Cab and other blocks, this is the "issue":

You saved the presets to disk correctly, including the Cab blocks. But they are saved *with* linked global blocks.

This means that those global blocks will link to global block information on the Axe-Fx unit they get loaded in.
That's not the same global block information as on your device. You would have to include your system settings ('system dump') to give people access to your global block data.

Also, if the user who downloaded your presets, hasn't configured any global blocks at all, the settings will also mismatch.

Example: when I load one of your presets, the Cab block in that preset will link to my own global Cab data, which is different from yours.
Same applies to other global blocks.

So the way to go here, is to use Axe-Edit to export your presets. Because the export functionality within AE lets you "unlink" global block information, preserving your settings. This will make sure that preset will sound as it was dialed in by you.

Like you I don't use AE for editing at all. I'm a "front panel" man. I do use AE for Sync and Backup, and importing / exporting presets.

Last edited:
To unlink and save a single preset:
In AE set source to Axe-Fx, select / load the preset, in Save As choose Export as Preset, in the dialog box, check Unlink.

To unlink and save multiple presets:
In Axe-Manage right-click a preset slot and select Get Bank. Select all sync'd presets, right-click one and select Export as preset. In the dialog box check Unlink.

Last edited:
Hi Larry, Probably best if you just come straight to Australia then, they are talking about banning smoking in all public places in the city of Perth, streets, parks, everywhere :)

Cheers S ( 0 )===:::

Thanks a lot Larry, very useful as always. Waiting for you in Italy (maybe some day....)

Mr guitarabuse, I hear ya, I have friends living over in china and I hear about the smoke every time I talk with them. They are working on bringing me overly there to play some shows but they keep warning me about the smoke. Still me and my asthma look forward to visiting china.

We are not spoiled with music events here. Have a number of friends in the music industry, production, staging etc here that could help out to sort things out properly. Welcome over any time.
Also smoking vise its getting slightly better. Start with Hong Kong, music bars etc almost non smoking nowadays. Mainland China, worse, but getting better.

Keep rocking

Hey simonDreyer, I would love to come to Austrailia! That is one of three pales I have not been that really want to go. I have come close 3 times. I was even on the same side of the universe as you, in 2004 I spent a month in New Zealand. Close but not close enough. :0) I hope to make it there.

Diego, I have been to Italy 8 times also spent a few months back in the 80's, I tour with Miguel Bosē in 1988 went there a few with Tracy Chapman and some other artists. I loved Italy! I've never been there to play my music I hope to though.

Mrguitarabuse, yes I think my friends are in Mainland China, smoke smoke smoke but I'm looking forward to coming over and playing. I'll send you a message to see if we can cooardinate something. Thank you.

Ccroyalsenders, I will see you at the Atlanta show! Very cool! It's a small club but we had a blast the last time we played there. Make sure you say hello.

Yek, big thank you for all you've done on helping me and everyone here with the Axe Fx! I'll save patches for the forum another way in the future. Thank you. I can't do it through axe edit but I can copy my patche that I want to upload to a new spot and unlink everything in patch save and upload that. That should work right? I will till send them to you first :0)

Larry

Yek, big thank you for all you've done on helping me and everyone here with the Axe Fx! I'll save patches for the forum another way in the future. Thank you. I can't do it through axe edit but I can copy my patche that I want to upload to a new spot and unlink everything in patch save and upload that. That should work right? I will till send them to you first :0)

Larry

That will work! No problem.

Mrguitarabuse, yes I think my friends are in Mainland China, smoke smoke smoke but I'm looking forward to coming over and playing. I'll send you a message to see if we can cooardinate something. Thank you.

Would be cool. There are some music festivals in Beijing with local and overseas acts. But since Beijing is the capitol with all the political power, they also are very sensitive to any kind of "disturbance in the force". So the government has a few times cancelled shows and even whole festivals when political "climate" has been unstable. Thats a downer.

But then there is always options for smaller gigs arranged with private owners that are more flexible on their political views and rather earn money ;) That is especially true in southern parts of China when you get further from Beijing's government control.

I always play "Rocking in the free world" with my Chinese band ;) good fun

Hey, nice track! Lot's of EJ goodness in there... :)

Kudos on the stage volume too. I'm always very impressed when a band is really dynamic.

To my complete loss, you sir, have been under my radar. Your playing and phrasing is IN-CRE-DI-BLE. I'm currently blown away.

And thank you for your patches/info Mr. Mitchell!

Hi Larry I met you in Redding, CA (Palo Cedro actually) back in September. You sounded and played great.

I, like you don't generally find other peoples patches usable, but in your case I thought I would download your patches and give them a try. Dude! Unbelievable. You're a genius. I used them last night at rehearsal and was digging it all night. I've been jamming on them all day today at home and don't want to stop. But I had to stop just to say thank you. Wow.

By the way it was a pleasure meeting you, you were very gracious and took time to explain how you use the Axe.

I've got some new ideas after analyzing how you setup a patch that I want to try.

Anyway, I have some pictures and a video (iPhone) of you jamming on Led Boots. I could post them if you want.

P.S. Love the Ray Gun.

Last edited:
Hey Larry. Thanks so much for the insites...BTW, since you're in the South, are you comming to Virginia anytime in the near future?

I added a raygun preset to my collection and adjusted my Reversed Delay preset, based on Larry's settings.

Hi guys, I just checked and ame very surprised and happy to see that you are enjoying those preset and more important a some of you find them helpful for your presets and layouts. And Yek using stuff based off of my presets! Wow. Nice!

Favance, we tried for the July run to get something Virginia, Maryland and dc but nothing made sense, we are actually doing a very cool inside house concert in Newark Delaware. That is about as close as we will get in July. But we are work on a late September / October run and may be able to make it happen then.

Jslatner, I think I remember you because I remember you standing on the left side shooting video when Travis Larson and I walked through the audience. I think. Glad that you like the Raygun. I remember talking a few people about the axe fx, did you have an ultra or standard then?

Noyjeloot, glad you like that patches and your welcome. :0)

Endgroove, thank you. Nice forum name too!

Larry

Larry, you're such a great talent and a great person. Thanks for sharing your presets! I met you at a guitar clinic back in the early '90's. I still have the cd (remember those lol) that you signed for me and I would spend hours upon hours trying to learn your licks.

Question - is the house concert in Newark DE a private event? I assume it is but I'm not too far from there so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

So this has to be one of the strangest runs I think I've been on in a long time! This is mainly about being a side man with a couple of my shows with friends playing me thrown in.

Let's see. Last minute call to fly to Tulsa to do a nice little book signing party 3 songs with Native poet sax player Joy Harjo. She got me a plane ticket on American (Shrinking planes Airlines) I made the wrong call on bringing my rolling carry on suit case that holds both the axe fx II and my MFC. (had this be one gig I might brought my liquid foot jr+) this case also holds two EV-5 pedals. Well this plane is the. Size of a but and NO rolling luggage fits or will be allowed on! Ok they tell me I have to check my rolling bag. I bend down open it up and pull out the axe FxII and I get on the plane with my guitar and my naked axe fx two in hand. Im not sure when the last I was stared at that hard was. I flew with my axe FxII on the floor under the seat in front of me. That Briggs and Riley carry on I have is nice but there is no way I was going to leave it in the case while the baggage guys threw it around. I know the MFC can take it but I'm not so sure (Cliff could chime in) but I didn't want to risk it.

The gig was down town Tulsa Oklahoma on the nit of game 1 of the nba finals! It Was in an amazing building that used to be the old downtown train station. Really nice place. We get there and there is a guy setting up a nice PA and he's has some nice monitors in a case. I ask him if he could set up two montiors for me and he tells me "oh no this PA is not for you it's for another event tomorrow" hmmmm. Ok so I find out we are waiting for the Tuesday night house jazz band to show up and we are using their PA as well as playing so,e song switch them. ( I think both guitar players in that band are on here now and maybe axe fx users in the future. Say hi guys if you are here) they come in a set up, and have no monitors hmmmm.
Lack of sleep has me not thinking and trouble shooting like I do when I am well rested.
I plug in and joy and I preform as bes t we could and everyone seems to really like it. I had a very hard time herring myself cause I'm behind the sound line. That makes looping really hard to do, Matt thank you for including the looper visual effect so I could see and hear where the 1 was on the loops! Yes! That helped a lot.
Ok what I should have done in this situation was........... I only used 4 presets........... I already have pedalboard presets set up with no amp sims in them just effects. Just for this reason, I could have asked the two guitar players if I could have used their amps and used those pedalboard patches. Doh! That's why I made them. For situations like that. For rehearsals where we have amps in a different location than the gig and there is no PA. (people still get understand no that I don't normally play through guitar amps) a lot of time I show up to gigs where there is Back line and they've rented two amps off of the old rider I guess. Anyway. The show went well

Back
Top Bottom