Tails from the Road---- Ray Guns, Mono PA, Smoke filled Bars.... Patches.....

Larry Mitchell

Power User
Hello Forum friends.

I have been playing a lot of clubs/bars lately and it is very different than the venues I am used to Playing. :) THere is still smoking in Bars in Georgia and some in Florida too. THat's gonna take a bit to get used to. And I have not run across many mono PA systems in my travels that last 4-5 years until now. Strange to me. Never have I run into a Mono system in Europe-Scandinavia or theaters in the USA. I did run into a supposed to be mono system at a university only to find out and watch the FOH guy that day find out that if he just panned the channels..... low and behold it's a stereo PA!!!! (Idiot) ! :) That's for another story.

Onto stuff; I have been getting some request for patches lately. Actually for awhile now. I am not really sure how patches translate. I have never been able to use other peoples patches for amp tones just effects myself. I hope that some of you who have been asking for this find it useful. :) It's also a window into how i set up my patches. It works for me. :)

As Requested by a few.

I have been doing a lot more club shows lately and it's has been interesting so the least. Here is a video of my song "Luna Drive" Live from the Club "Bloodhound" in Auburn Alabama. Wade Allen on Bass and Russ Garner on Drums. The Camera is right in front of the stage and I go direct to FOH from my Axe FX II. Trust me, the guitar was crazy loud out front and on stage as the monitors were pretty loud too, but It's not rolling off the stage so it is a little distant from the camera.( The Camera is actually in-between the stage volume and the PA an odd spot but it worked. After 6.0 firmware I don't touch any of the advanced parameters anymore. Just drive, Bass, Mid Treble, Presence, Master Volume and Level. I am rolling off between 60-90 on the lows and 9000 on the highs in the cab block only.

Here is the Video Youtube the volume of the audio in the video is very low. Luna Drive Bloodhound June 2nd 2012.m4v - YouTube

Here are the Patches from the video and the live stream for the song "Luna Drive"
the first one is the opening clean patch. Big note: You will need Redwirez Cabinet Impulse responses in order to use these preset other wise you can replace the cabinets that I use with ones you prefer, but the patches will not sound the same as mine. My main Ibanez Blazer is pretty bright sounding, IT's an Ash body with a quilted Maple top. I use DiMarzio PAF Pro pick ups in it and it had a coil tap push pull tone knob on it. When I solo a lot of the time I go back and forth between the bridge pickup and the Neck pickup. Over the years I've tried to figure out the when and why i do that but it is never the same and i can't really explain what makes me switch when I do but I can not. It's an on the spot decision kind of thing.

Redwirez Impulse cabinets are
Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-CapOffAxis-3in
Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-ConeEdge-3in

Luna Drive SY W

Luna Drive is the name

SY tells me that the Expression pedal close to the MFC is controlling the Synth tope sounds volume

The W Tells me the outside Expression pedal is controlling the Wah

I start out with the volume of the synth type air up pretty high then I back off of it to get the chords in there. Also I have an IA switch for my tremolo with is set up pretty hard. I toggle that on and off during the intro and the outré

As for the Leads. My Main Lead is the
"Boogie Lead RGW"

Boogie Lead is the name

RG tells me that the expression pedal close by is set to control the ray gun. (chorus 2) Speed mostly

W tells me the other expression pedal is set to control my Wah

Alternate Lead Preset Bogner E WHW

Bogner E is the Name

WH Tells me that the inside Expression pedal is controlling a Whammy Pedal Not used in this song but it is there if your turn on Pitch 1

W Tells me the outside Expression pedal is controlling the Wah

Notes:

In my main lead patch Drive 1 is turned off but I tend to kick it in somewhere in the solo once things get crack'n!

The Ray gun is Chorus 2 Y Chorus 2 X is more of a detune vibrato that I use on clean patches. IN my set up. When I X/Y the amp channels the chorus goes with it as well as the cabinets and my drives change as well.
Example Y amp for leads means that even if there are not on the Drive 1 and 2 , Chorus 2 change to Y versions when I hit X on the Amp selection, Drive 1 and 2 and Chorus 2 change to x versions. this is for my setup in case you look at my patches and go WTF is going on here? :)

Also I use Global Amps ( Actually I use 7 amps for everything) I only use other amps for recording

Amps I use in the Axe FX II

USA Clean 1
Deluxe Verb
Jr Blues
USA LEad 1+
USA LEad 2+
Plexi Treble
Friedman HBE

Attachments

• Larry Mitchell Luna Drive Clean.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Larry Mitchell Main Lead Boogie.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Larry Mitchell Alternate Lead Bogner.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 268
Thanks for breaking everything down, but the patches were a no go on my end. Just wont make sound. I replaced the IR's.

Hey Funeral. Yes They wont unless you load the same IRs that I use. There would be no cabinets and in the Clean patch there is a Volume pedal Attached. Sorry about that.

Also This is for firmware 6.01

Thanks Larry! I found your old Ultra patches usefull, so I'm looking forward to checking these out.

I should be able to just change the cab and try the preset though. Are these working for anyone else?
Site was slow when I downloaded them, I will try again.

I re-downloaded the patches, changed the cab. no sound. tried to delete the cab, axe-edit crashed, and my axe-fx went blank and locked up.

Last edited:
Thank you NPX, Glad that you where able to figure it out and upload them. I do everything from the front of the Axe Fx. Not sure why you had to initialize the cab block but if it is working then that all that matters.

On Second thought, it could be because the cab block is a global cab slot 1. Is there still a global problem with firmware #? and Axe Edit?

All of my patches use global blocks. Amps. Chorus, Cabs, Delays, Pitch 1 & 2, Drives 1 & 2 Reverb .....So this could be a potential problem. If it causes too much trouble it might be better to take the patches down and just type in what values for amp or specific effects are.????

i'll try the patches tomorrow and see if i can get anything out of them. i too only use the front panel and axe edit has not been too nice to me when trying to share or download patches.

that said, wow what a privilege to receive such insight from a gigging pro! people who travel and gig all the time setup their gear in very particular ways because it has to be rock solid every time everywhere. there usually is no time to troubleshoot or make a new preset etc.

so this is really a good thing for so many here to see how someone who gigs and tours sets up his patches. larry mitchell is the man!

that's so funny about clubs and mono PAs... lots of systems here are mono only because they don't buy the right amps to run their speakers in stereo. other times it's a powered speaker rig and they just link everything together because it's "easier" and "nobody uses stereo anyway." at least that's what i've been told a few times hah.

Last edited:
When saving a preset with global blocks to disk through AE, there should be no problem.
The data in the global blocks is not stored as "global" data (that would require a dump of the System too), but the info in the Cab block should still be correct when loading that preset.

@Larry, how did you save the presets precisely? Save As > Export to Preset, or another way?

Hi Larry, thanks for the writing that out for everyone and demonstrating to everyone they CAN dial without axe-edit if they choose, and if they're rehearsing or gigging, they'll need that skill.

Do they let you carry that gator case onto planes, or are you still doing the backpack thing?

Hey Solo Act, thank you, o that back pack is way to big for planes. I have Briggs and Riley 20" carry on that both the axe fx II and MFC and two EV-5's with the cables cut down fit in. I can get that on most planes although right now I'm sitting at a gate in Atlanta airport and one of those small planes just pulled up. I hope its not mine. :0) even this bag won't fit on this one.

Yes, I don't use axe Edit, it's not for me. I have always felt the need to be able to adjust on the fly from the front panel. I do sometimes during the show. I use global blocks for this reason. If my lead tone is not doing it or the clean sounds to bright in a particular show I can adjust it on one preset quickly and I know that all the clean presets or my lead tones with specific effects will all sound closer in volume and tone.

Yek. Straight from the front. I saved it "dump preset to USB" into sysex librarian on a MacBook pro. Hey Yek, in the future would you mind being the first try with any presets I post? I'd send them to you first and can tell me if they are too whack for the forum? :0)

Catnick, thank you very much.

Hey Chris, thanks in the lead presets are one of my ray gun sounds. It sounds better when you hit high notes. :0) also when the ray gun is on that expression pedal 2 changes it a bit. I'm constantly messing with the ray gun sound so it's way different then the type of sound I used when I played at your store.

Mr guitarabuse, I hear ya, I have friends living over in china and I hear about the smoke every time I talk with them. They are working on bringing me overly there to play some shows but they keep warning me about the smoke. Still me and my asthma look forward to visiting china.

Thanks guys I hope that some of you make it out to some of the shows if they are close by. It's always great to meet fractal forum friends. Actually I think someone who either owns one or is thinking about getting one has come out to every show. Im doing a lot less explaining why I'm playing through a VCR these days. That's big credit to fractal. People know about it!!!

Shows are listed on my web page.

Larry

Great playing and great tone! I'm looking forward to checking out these patches when I get off work!

Yek. Straight from the front. I saved it "dump preset to USB" into sysex librarian on a MacBook pro. Hey Yek, in the future would you mind being the first try with any presets I post? I'd send them to you first and can tell me if they are too whack for the forum? :0)

Sure, will do! :)

Back
Top Bottom