Tagging Onto "Current State of Guitar..." Thread, Where Do You Guys Discover New Music?

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I can't stand listening to the radio any more, so the last new bands I've found have been from Pandora and You Tube recommendations.
Where/how are you finding new music?

I remember the last time I was really adventurous last.fm was by far the most valuable resource. They recommended all sorts of stuff I hadn't heard of but thought was cool.

I haven't listened to the radio since the 90's. Like osmosis I occasionally pick up new music from my surroundings. Shazam or soundhound are your friends. It helps if you're in surroundings where a lot of music gets played though,

We have one of the best FM radio stations in North America. It's legit 70s
style AOR. Locally owned and operated by this wealthy dude whose family
owned a chain of gas stations. He doesn't have to sell out to Clear Channel
and the other Corporate monstrosities that have dumbed down Radio for
the masses with their prescribed playlists.

Can stream it even if you don't live where I do. They'll go from Iron Maiden's
Powerslave to Steely Dan's "Night By Night." Fuck, they'll even play Zappa. :)

Larry McCray has a weekly Blues Show, too. Legit!

https://q100-fm.com/

I can't stand listening to the radio any more, so the last new bands I've found have been from Pandora and You Tube recommendations.
Where/how are you finding new music?
Exploring bands that Spotify suggests are similar to bands I'm listening to will often lead to interesting discoveries. I discovered RPWL today that way. Also, be sure to check out your Daily Mix playlist for interesting discoveries.

What is this "radio" thing you're talking about?

I think the last time I was really getting some new decent suggestions was when I was using my Spotify account. They'd send me these new playlists weekly and I'd throw them on while working. Every so often, I'd hear something cool. Like Avatarium, which is kind of a cross between Jefferson Airplane and doom metal. Awesome.

I'm on a few internet forums that cover some of what I like. I'll see people post on there. It used to be super active, but I guess maybe a lot of it moved to Facebook groups, or Twitter, or some shit I don't use. Super light on posts there now. Still, people will post their top lists at the end of the year, and I'll usually come up with a few new bands out of that.

I follow a bunch of people on Bandcamp as well. As in, I look up bands I like. You can see other people that bought that music. Say an artist like "Autumns Eyes." If you click on that person, it'll tell you how many items in your collection are shared with that person, as well as what music they've bought. Figure, if you have 8 of the same purchases as someone else, you might like other stuff they do. Obviously this only works if you buy music on there.

You can do sort of the same stuff on Spotify and maybe others. I follow some artists that put up playlists, and I see what they listen to. Sometimes you can find gems in there.

If its not friends recommendations or a band on a bill, Im probably not finding out about it lol. I avoid spotify (bandcamp ftw), i just dont set aside time for just listening to music. It was different when I spent 10hr/wk in the car.

If its not friends recommendations or a band on a bill, Im probably not finding out about it lol. I avoid spotify (bandcamp ftw), i just dont set aside time for just listening to music. It was different when I spent 10hr/wk in the car.
Yeah this, about no commute == less time listening to music. Also my exercise routine has changed, so I'm not on the Nordic Track, which was my other big listening time.

But actually, neither of those times are great for exploring new music, don't want to be fiddling with stuff, just listening. Ideally, I'd do my discovery beforehand, and queue up stuff I want to check out.

So basically, it'd be nice if I had my sh## together. Which we knew.

Back
Top Bottom