tablet as a remote display

Knobs McGee

Inspired
Although my (relatively) new AX8 & XiTone rig has been an amazing game-changer for me, one of my few dissatisfactions is with the AX8s small display. I realize that everything is a trade-off. A more elaborate display would mean a more expensive machine or reduced quality elsewhere to pay for it. As a middle aged player, I find the display to be too small, at foot distance, for my aging eyes.

Please excuse me if this has been discussed before. Has there been any talk of an app or modified version of AX Edit that would allow someone to use a tablet as a remote display that could be attached to a mic stand? A fully functional version of AX Edit that could remain active while using the on-board footswitches would be best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Very cool idea, Al.

I assume that (like AX Edit) as soon as you use any of the AX8s on-board controls, FracPad will go into "pause mode", disabling the tablet display. If I'm wrong, please, make my day!!

Very cool idea, Al.

I assume that (like AX Edit) as soon as you use any of the AX8s on-board controls, FracPad will go into "pause mode", disabling the tablet display. If I'm wrong, please, make my day!!
It doesn't but it's something on my todo-list. Anyway it does not cause audio dropouts

You can disable the 'auto-pause' feature in AX8edit

I was not aware of that, good to know. I just found it in Preferences and tried it out.

I guess the main problem I run into is when in the "Preset/Bank" window (where I run "Sticky" most of the time). Unfortunately, AX Edit will only display the current preset. If I pin the Bank window open, it doesn't refresh without closing and reopening it.

Ultimately, I guess I'd like the ability to mirror the AX8's display on a tablet. Hands on control would just be a bonus.

I know, "wish in one hand"... :eek:

Yeah, FracPad slays.It's the closest thing you'll find to what you're looking for.
If you don't mind checking, will it allow you to set the AX8 display in "sticky Preset/Bank" mode (press and hold F1 until blinking) and reproduce the current bank on the tablet? Is the current preset highlighted? Does FracPad bank up and down with the AX8. Thanks, in advance, for checking.

If you don't mind checking, will it allow you to set the AX8 display in "sticky Preset/Bank" mode (press and hold F1 until blinking) and reproduce the current bank on the tablet?
You don't really need Sticky Preset mode with FracPad. You can move up or down, type in a preset number, or tap the number to bring up a list of all your presets.

Is the current preset highlighted?
Yes,the current preset is highlighted in the preset list.

Does FracPad bank up and down with the AX8. Thanks, in advance, for checking.
No. Might be a good feature request, though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rex. For live, all I'd have to do is learn to tap in those preset numbers with my toes. ;)
Skip the toes. Mount your tablet high, and tap with your nose. :)

I've passed along your wish for a visible representation of what the floorboard is doing.

Yes, not sure to have understood the exact thing you need ;)
His hands aren't free to manipulate FracPad. I think he's looking for a clearly-visible way to see what his AX8 is doing as he works the footswitches.

Example: Stomp into Sticky Preset mode. FracPad indicates that mode and presets him with a large-print copy of the preset list that's displayed on the AX8's screen.

His hands aren't free to manipulate FracPad. I think he's looking for a clearly-visible way to see what his AX8 is doing as he works the footswitches.

Example: Stomp into Sticky Preset mode. FracPad indicates that mode and presets him with a large-print copy of the preset list that's displayed on the AX8's screen.
So it's the already present big display mode?

Back
Top Bottom