Table: amp settings, depending on power amp and speaker

FRFR speaker only = any powered FR monitor
SS PA + FR speaker = passive FR monitor + separate SS power amp, such SD PS-170, Matrix etc.

But the only difference is whether the power amp is in the same box as the speaker, which is surely not relevant. (I don't mean to nit-pick, it's obviously a small point and I'm appreciative that you spend the time to do it.)

IMO columns 4 and 5 should match columns 2 and 3 respectively. A "neutral" tube power amp (if one exists) is no different than a solid-state power amp.

"Neutral" tube power amp in the table refers to amps like the Fryette Power Station and LX, marketed as transparant FRFR power amps for modelers, where power amp modeling doesn't have to be switched off.

But it's still a tube amp and as such it "interacts" with the speaker more than a SS amp. My thought was that layering the virtual speaker behavior and the tube power amp may be too much of a good thing. Confirmed by my own experiences with using a Power Station with FAS modelers: bass and feedback get out of control with Speaker Impedance enabled.

It's been discussed ad nauseam in this thread:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-power-station-2.2136319/page-3#post-30325004

I edited the table.

Last edited:
But the only difference is whether the power amp is in the same box as the speaker, which is surely not relevant. (I don't mean to nit-pick, it's obviously a small point and I'm appreciative that you spend the time to do it.)
I agree, it's effectively the same thing. But there will be folks that are new to the FRFR world that will wonder if there is a difference....so I think it's smart to have 2 columns.

My only question is: For SS PA and Guitar Cab : why is the Amp Output mode 'FRFR/SS PA + Cab' (which I assume means 'or')?
Why would FRFR be the proper setting?

My only question is: For SS PA and Guitar Cab : why is the Amp Output mode 'FRFR/SS PA + Cab' (which I assume means 'or')?
Why would FRFR be the proper setting?

Ah, seems wrong. That text should be in another cell. I edited the table (refresh the page).

Last edited:
IMO columns 4 and 5 should match columns 2 and 3 respectively. A "neutral" tube power amp (if one exists) is no different than a solid-state power amp.
Wouldn't the neutral tube poweramp still have reactive effects to the playback speaker cabinet while the solid state Amp would not?

I havent downloaded the beta yet, but I can see why lol. So I have my Cab block to routed OUT1 to FOH and routed to OUT3 for my IEM's, and no Cab block routed to OUT2 to my Matrix SS amp and Marshall cabs. I guess when the Beta has been finalized I will need to look thru this but I have gigs coming up and dont wanna be chasing my tail last minute. Thanks Yek!

Back
Top Bottom