T808 OD modeling question

Gumbo72203

Hey everyone! Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, but I've been after an answer for a while and I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for, so I hope you can help.

My buddy has an FX8 which he's let me use for a couple gigs, and we created a patch that I love which uses the T808 OD preset. I'm curious if anybody knows which actual pedal this was modeled after: original Ibanez TS808, a TS9, a Maxon OD9, a Maxon OD808, etc etc.

My band has been gigging more and I need better overdrives than what my Digitech RP355 offers, but I simply can't afford an FX8 right now so I'm looking to just get the pedal version of this. However, I've driven myself mad going down the TS rabbit hole of Maxon vs. Ibanez vs. 808 vs. TS9 vs. Analogman vs. Keeley mods, etc.

I love how the T808 OD patch sounds, but it doesn't quite sound like any of the demo videos I've found on Youtube, so I was very curious if anybody had any more in-depth background information on what precisely they used in creating this preset.

Thanks so much guys. I literally created an account here so I could ask this question lol

oh man, thank you! So it seems like it was based on a classic TS9, rather than an 808. Interesting!
IIRC, the only difference between the two is a diode which makes the clipping asymmetrical in the TS9. Pretty easy to mod a TS9 into a TS808 or viceversa.

My question to you all is this: are there any modded versions that you think sound closest to the T808 OD AxeFX model? I've read that it's an actual TS9, but I've used our bass player's TS9 and the 2 do not sound the same to me, at all. The AxeFX version is much smoother and creamier IMO.
To answer the question you asked in the other thread: try an AnalogMan-modded TS9. I have a pair of them and matching them in the Axe-Fx was only a slight tweak of the in-build EQ on the Drive block. It's very, very close to what you get from the Drive block.

Or even better: buy an FX-8. :)

To answer the question you asked in the other thread: try an XXXXXXXX. I have a pair of them and matching them in the Axe-Fx was only a slight tweak of the in-build EQ on the Drive block. It's very, very close to what you get from the Drive block.

Or even better: buy an FX-8. :)

Subsidize that FX-8 for me and you've got a deal :p

What mods do you have in your TS-9? None of the dozens of shootout videos really got the sound of the FX8 ever to my ears, which is due in part to literally every demo video being composed of strats playing SRV blues licks, and I do not play either of those haha. I'm a Phish guy playing an Epi 335 into a Carvin Bel Air.

Really? That's so interesting. Can you elaborate on why that pedal was chosen, as opposed to a TS808 and TS9 and which mode you used as the reference? I'm just very very curious. Thank you!!!!!!
No particular reason. The reference mode was TS9.

Subsidize that FX-8 for me and you've got a deal :p
https://reverb.com/p/fractal-audio-fx8 :) consider used?

What mods do you have in your TS-9? None of the dozens of shootout videos really got the sound of the FX8 ever to my ears, which is due in part to literally every demo video being composed of strats playing SRV blues licks, and I do not play either of those haha. I'm a Phish guy playing an Epi 335 into a Carvin Bel Air.
I'm also a Phish guy! It's an Silver Mod Analogman TS-9 -- literally the exact TS-9 and mods Trey ran with all through the 90s and up until very recent times.

No particular reason. The reference mode was TS9.
You are the best. Thank you so much. I did a shootout on Saturday with a TS9 vs. the AxeFX and i noticed that the AxeFX has MUCH more bottom end; I'm not sure if that's due to more in-board EQ controls or what.

I'm also a Phish guy! It's an Silver Mod Analogman TS-9 -- literally the exact TS-9 and mods Trey ran with all through the 90s and up until very recent times.

How does the Silver Mod sound with regards to the bass? I played my TS9 in practice yesterday and I like the gain staging but man, it has no balls in the low end. I like the mid bump and i have the overdrive and tone basically matched to my buddy's FX8 808 patch but the bass response is nearly non-existant.

I tried a TS808 in the store saturday also but I hated the footswitch on that so I think i'm going to get my TS9 modded to an 808 so I can have a stable footswitch. I also picked up a Fulldrive 3 by Fulltone because I like the creamy sustain; it gives me that '99 Camden Chalkdust tone but it kind of sucks the high end out of the signal chain, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I did run our bass player's TS9 with mine during our last song (Blackberry Brandy by the Ominous Seapods) and the tone was nice but it didn't quite get me to the compressed distortion sound I was looking for. I might just not be used to the pick attack sound also as previously my high-gain patch was a Soldano SLO-100 model on my Digitech RP355.

EDIT: also, I'm having a hard time understanding all of Analogman's mods. Am I correct in that the Silver Mod on a TS9 also turns it into an 808? Because the TS9 and the 808 use different chips. I feel like a moron with all of this because his website is a little hard to understand for me.

Feel free to PM if we don't want to clog up the boards, I don't know what the rules are here :)

Last edited:
So, an interesting thing! I ended up getting a TS-9 and a TS-808 used through Craigslist for only $155 total. It's interesting because on their own they sound great, but I'm finding that in context during practice, the 808 sounds "smaller" for lack of a better word. The TS-9 has a great cut through the rest of the band (Bass, Drums, Guitar). Perhaps I have to play with the settings a little bit still. It's funny, because when I play just by myself, I think the 808 sounds way better. It has a smoother, creamier overdrive that I like.

Still chasing that big, fat bottom end that the FX8 patch has!

So, an interesting thing! I ended up getting a TS-9 and a TS-808 used through Craigslist for only $155 total. It's interesting because on their own they sound great, but I'm finding that in context during practice, the 808 sounds "smaller" for lack of a better word. The TS-9 has a great cut through the rest of the band (Bass, Drums, Guitar). Perhaps I have to play with the settings a little bit still. It's funny, because when I play just by myself, I think the 808 sounds way better. It has a smoother, creamier overdrive that I like.

Still chasing that big, fat bottom end that the FX8 patch has!
That's like 1/5th the price of an FX8! Sell 'em and start saving for that FX8! :D

Their ain't no time to stash the gumbo, or rattle around in the cage...

Back
Top Bottom