System of Down - “Chop Suey” Preset

Thank you so much !!
I am using a a les paul SG 2018 HP
Pickup: H-H (2x Humbucker)
Pickup Neck: Gibson ´57 Classic
Pickup Bridge: Gibson Super '57 Classic

Thank you.

Here's a quick preset to hold you over till I finish it. I did just the heavy guitar tone in Chop Suey, but I will do both intro clean'ish tones as well as Aerials, Toxicity, and any other heavy tones I may find. The original is a JCM800 and Plexi both into separate 4x12's each with a SM57 and 421. All 4 mics were combined to one track and sent through a master buss. On top of that I believe he quadtracked his guitars.
I quadtracked mine but with a clip at the end to show a single track solo'd. My guitar is a les paul with a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, so it might be slightly higher gain than yours, but Daron's original tone was way less gainy than people expect.

Attachments

• U1-0013_Suey H1.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Toxicity.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
Here's a quick preset to hold you over till I finish it. I did just the heavy guitar tone in Chop Suey, but I will do both intro clean'ish tones as well as Aerials, Toxicity, and any other heavy tones I may find. The original is a JCM800 and Plexi both into separate 4x12's each with a SM57 and 421. All 4 mics were combined to one track and sent through a master buss. On top of that I believe he quadtracked his guitars.
I quadtracked mine but with a clip at the end to show a single track solo'd. My guitar is a les paul with a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, so it might be slightly higher gain than yours, but Daron's original tone was way less gainy than people expect.

Wow man. That sounds good. And in my experience a lot of famous metal tones have less gain than we think.

Here's a more complete example. All the guitars here are in this preset. The very intro guitar is an acoustic so it's not perfect, but close (it's missing some of that sparkle). Again using the same Les Paul with Super Distortion in the bridge. All tracks were with the bridge pickup. In my DAW I have a buss compressor for the heavy guitars, and a buss compressor for the clean guitars. Doesn't affect the tone, just helps the multi-tracks blend.

Scene 1 uses the Suey Acoustic cab,
Scene 2 uses the Suey Intro Riff cab,
Scene 3 uses the Suey Jangle cab,
Scene 4 uses the Suey H1 cab.

I'll still update this with Toxicity and Aerials tones as well, trying to get them all in one preset.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Toxicity.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
  • U1-0013_Suey H1.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 27
  • U1-0014_Suey Acoustic.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 29
  • U1-0015_Suey Intro Riff.syx
  • U1-0016_Suey Jangle.syx
Big thanks to you for this Salazar!

Daron's original tone was way less gainy than people expect.

As often happens with many famous guitar tones! A lot of the gain comes from tendons and muscles.
I remember the usual comment of Troy Van Leeuwen when he watched videos of fans playing his songs: "too much gain"

These are great!! Did you ever make one for Aerials? We just added that to our list, thanks in advance!

These are great!! Did you ever make one for Aerials? We just added that to our list, thanks in advance!
Thanks! I've spent some time working on Toxicity with little luck as the intro is 2 different tones, 1 being a 12 string. The heavy is 2 different tones as well. I haven't spent time on Aerials yet but I think I'll skip Toxicity for now and get Aerials out of the way.

Also I noticed an error in the first clean TM on Chop Suey. I've corrected it and will upload the new IR and sample.

Spent some time tweaking a little. I think the intro acoustic tone is closer, the rest for Chop Suey are untouched. I added a clean for Aerials and it sounds like the heavy tone on the original is the same as Chop Suey so I used that scene. All 3 cleanish tones are the neck pickup, with the bridge there's a noticeable "quack" and ice-pickyness that I couldn't dial out before or after tonematching, plus I think the neck pickup sounded closer anyways. Same as before I used a Les Paul with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Dimarzio DP103 36th PAF in the neck. I'm using I believe 9-46 strings so a slightly heavier gauge might sound better for the cleans.

Attachments

• Toxicity.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
  • U1-0013_Suey H1.syx
  • U1-0015_Suey Intro Riff.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 28
  • U1-0016_Suey Jangle.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 28
  • U1-0017_Suey Acoustic Neck.syx
  • U1-0020_Aerials Clean.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 38
Same here. I would love to use these but the cab blocks are set to a random IR
The preset uses cab IR slots "User 1-0013, 0015, 0016, 0017, and 0020" as you'll see for the titles of the IR's posted above. You can save the IR's to whatever location you like, you'll just have to reassign the cab IR slot to where you placed the IR. 0013 Suey H1 is the heavy scene, the rest are as the titles say.

Back
Top Bottom