system of a down guitar tone help

cgraci

Inspired
Hey I'm trying to get that system of a down tone sound . I've been trying brit 800 but it just don't sound like their tone. any ideas ?

I have no idea . I think they use marshal amps. It was just a shot in the dark. I normally play progressive metal but I really love that low gain sound they have.

I think most of System was Marshall Mode 4's

But you'd get later system results with a JCM800 BUT
I'd say earlier stuff- you might get a easier closer high gain tone with like a Rectifier setting.

Early stuff was a Boogie Dual Rectifier with Ibanez Iceman guitars. Now it's Marshall and Gibson SG's

ah thanks guys. if anyone has settings and cabs that they would recommend id appreciate it. I've been rolling the mids backs to like 2.50 bass 4.00 and treble noon along with the presence. master 3.50. I'm using OH engl v30s. I have marshall v30s but they sound really thin. any thoughts? also drive in front.

I can't attest to what they used and when - but I do know on the first record that they split a single guitar take to two different amps/cabs and panned them left/right to some degree for most of it, not much double tracking. It was a very minimal production. I don't think that drawing applies to the first record, but I'm sure it's accurate to some degree.

edit: I should clarify that I only know this by using my ears. I guess I can't be 100% certain without proof, but it's fairly easy to hear when its one guitar take split two ways.

ah thanks guys. if anyone has settings and cabs that they would recommend id appreciate it. I've been rolling the mids backs to like 2.50 bass 4.00 and treble noon along with the presence. master 3.50. I'm using OH engl v30s. I have marshall v30s but they sound really thin. any thoughts? also drive in front.
Try to add a lot of negative feedback, not a lot a drive in front

Daron's rig is now a Super Lead 100 with 3 cabs, i guess Greenback. that would be the Mezmerize\Hypnotise sound.
back in the day for the first album he used a Strat with his Carvin amp.
Toxicity is a Dual Rec\triaxis with many many guitars

Don't roll down the mids! His tone is very unconventional, but I don't recall it ever being scooped. Too much mids for what he's playing at times, if anything.

I have the mids raised in the drive but lowered in the amp itself because it gets too thin. I guess ill try to raise them both again.

I read this years ago and this particular part always stuck with me:

“I got to thinking, when you play an acoustic guitar, the sound comes out of the guitar,” Malakian explains. “So why in recording rooms does the sound always have to bounce off the walls? Why don’t we bounce it off more guitars? So I basically covered a whole wall with acoustic guitars, from ceiling to floor. We pointed the speaker cabinet toward this wall of guitars and set up a room mic. The resonance came out of the guitars and back into the microphone. In most cases we muted the strings of the guitars on the wall, so we got the resonance from the body but not actual notes from the strings. And that gave us a very cutting sound, which is what I wanted.”

Here's the rest.

Daron Malakian: 21st Century Schizoid Man - Page 5 | Guitar World

Daron's rig is now a Super Lead 100 with 3 cabs, i guess Greenback. that would be the Mezmerize\Hypnotise sound.
back in the day for the first album he used a Strat with his Carvin amp.
Toxicity is a Dual Rec\triaxis with many many guitars
I switched to the super lead and it sounds much better

I can't attest to what they used and when - but I do know on the first record that they split a single guitar take to two different amps/cabs and panned them left/right to some degree for most of it, not much double tracking. It was a very minimal production. I don't think that drawing applies to the first record, but I'm sure it's accurate to some degree.

It was their first album that Sylvia Massy worked on, so that drawing, and her comments in the thread I linked to, are absolutely accurate (at least as accurate as her memory and records allow)

I believe he has used different gear as time passes. It still sounds very similar no matter what he uses. Evidence that the tone is in the mind, ears, and fingers.

Back
Top Bottom