System Exclusive Guide

GM Arts

Fractal Fanatic
I had a bit of time over the weekend to automate a system exclusive guide for the Axe-FX, using data retrieved from the Axe Edit XML configuration files. At this stage, this is in a draft format, but it appears to accurately retrieve information from those files. This document gives more detail than the current WIKI and is up to date at the time of writing.

You can view it here: Axe-FX SysEx Messages

Not all information appears to be used by the editor, so some data (particularly value descriptions) may be misleading or incomplete. Nevertheless, I think it's easy to see what is intended and hopefully you won't have too much trouble building your own messages.

Have a look and let me know if you think this is helpful. If so, I’ll build one for the Standard as well.

Nice stuff! There's a lot of good work here. You were a big contributor to the community back in the Geep days, and you're definitely keeping that tradition alive here. Thanks!

EYE OPENER!!!!! NEVER understand sysex code! now I DO (but that:) In this example: F0 00 01 74 01 02 05 06 05 00 02 00 01 F7. What are the HEX describes which are NOT described in the example????? So, whats that?: F0 00 01 74 01 02 at beginning and 01 F7 at the end? 00 01 74 this would describe the AxeFx himself? (=Sysex ID?) But the rest????

Any changes for standard users?????

thx for feedback

Other hex codes in the message are the device id, and I expect function codes to indicate that it is a parameter value message with an action of setting a value. All wrapped inside the start and end sysex bytes F0 ... F7.

Long live the GEEP! For me, the Axe-Fx was the LOOONG awaited heir apparent.
Long live, indeed. The Geep came out in 1995 and was best of breed for the next ten years, even though almost no one I met had heard of it. I kinda miss that thin, golden faceplate smiling at me from the rack. And there's more than one Geep feature on the Axe-FX wish list.

I actually found out about the Axe-FX when I sauntered over to GM Arts' site to see if there was anything new on the GP-100. I found the Geep stuff was gone, and in its place was a lot of raving about this Fractal thingy. I checked it out, and a month or so later, I bit the bullet and ordered one. Poor Geep sits by itself now, though I did break it out recently to duplicate a patch I'd built on it.

Ok, I will bite.... what is a GEEP? never heard of it?? did a quick google but did not find anything that would be relevent to this.

All I have to say is thank you for the time that this obviously took to do.

I'm no sysex expert by a long shot, but I've been dorking around with it and it's just amazing what you can do with it and I know that having it in such a well laid out and complete manner may just be the thing to get me off my butt to finish my little programming project.

Outstanding!!

Thanks a lot, that looks like plenty of time and work went into that.

I'm planning to make quite some use of sysex commands to switch the "unswitchable" things
inside patches. This guide comes handy.

Seb

Well, I think I've done pretty much all I can with the available config data now.

We now have proper parameter names where they're available and I've also removed any mis-matches between the 2 config files, which tidies thing up a little.

enjoy, all ;)

Back
Top Bottom