Synthetic / manipulated / processed CAB IRs?

Piing

Axe-Master
It is not the first time that I find IRs that have "sculptured" shapes instead of the naturally random waveform with all the accidents captured by a microphone in front of a real cab.

I imagine that they are generated by adding/substracting synthetic waveforms or manipulated by compressing, equalizing, etc. I’m wondering if they even captured real CABs. What do you think?

Of course, that is a completely valid method if the result is useful for someone’s project, but for me these are completely useless. They are nasty, unnatural, and completely lack of dynamics. They limit the room for expressing playing nuances. Maybe good for some modern uber-compressed chugga-chugga Masochist Metal.

These pictures are from STL Tones “John Deiley North Lane Signature Axe-FX III”. It consists of 90 presets with one IR for each preset. Even though the documentation specifies a series of cabs and speakers per IR, I am wondering if they really made 90 real CAB captures or if they manipulated the variants. I suspect that they are no real captures, because they do not look natural. It could be cheating

-Axe-Edit III.jpg

Last edited:
very much appreciate this thread. It's not easy to be anything less than positive about someone's work... but when it's accurate and fair then it is justified. I think you were both.

just a humble opinion... could be totally wrong, but my gut says that looks way too uniform to be anything but synthetic. as you alluded... nothing wrong with that IIF it sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom