Synth sounds like the EHX Synth9?

claxor

Power User
What do you synth guys think of the synth sounds on the Axefx 2 vs. the new EHX Synth9?

(EHX claims that the Synth9 is polyphonic, which is believe the synth block can't do, correct?)

Synth block in the Axe isn't polyphonic, yet....
Don't know if it will ever be. I don't ask for anything anymore.
:)

Pretty cool. I've got their B9 pedal. Once they figured out how to convert the guitar polyphony well on the front end, they have taken off with variants. I'd love to see the current or, if necessary, future Axe FX units handle polyphony at least this well, leading to all kinds of horn, string, piano, organ and synth tones.

I hate EHX. Everytime you think that's a cool new pedal and you get it, they come out with something 10x cooler and you wish you had known so you could have gotten that one instead.

For a while I entertained the hope that maybe they would release some Deluxe uber version that has all the sounds of the various X-9 pedals. But with every new release that seems more unlikely. Makes sense for them too. Why make them pay once when you can make them pay endless times by endlessly releasing new variations?

I wanted to like this pedal, but the more i listen to demos the more it sounds like a Pog to me. I don't really like that hidden flavour. Plus you don't have presets so you're stuck with one sound.

The Synth9 somehow doesn't appeal to me. But I love the Mel9. I was very disappointed by the Key9, sadly enough because I love the Rhodes sound. The others are great too, but offer too little for their price (organ only).

Triggering seems better, poly is good to have, but the sounds it offers from the video above isn't what I would pay anything for.

Pretty cool. I've got their B9 pedal. Once they figured out how to convert the guitar polyphony well on the front end, they have taken off with variants. I'd love to see the current or, if necessary, future Axe FX units handle polyphony at least this well, leading to all kinds of horn, string, piano, organ and synth tones.
m
I think if Axe Fx III could do polyphonic and do these type sounds EH is putting out, it would be game over.

I just can't get behind a guitar that tries to sound like a keyboard any more than I can get behind a keyboard that tries to sound like a guitar. I'm not knocking it, it's just not my cup of tea.

I hate EHX. Everytime you think that's a cool new pedal and you get it, they come out with something 10x cooler and you wish you had known so you could have gotten that one instead.

For a while I entertained the hope that maybe they would release some Deluxe uber version that has all the sounds of the various X-9 pedals. But with every new release that seems more unlikely. Makes sense for them too. Why make them pay once when you can make them pay endless times by endlessly releasing new variations?

Yes, I agree. I own a C9 which is also like a B9, i.e. organ only.
Problem was, I liked sounds on the both B9 and C9.
My ideal organ-emulator pedal would have actually have been a combination of both, so I had to carefully choose which one I wanted as I was not prepared to buy both.
Very cynical of EHX how they've brought these out.
I won't be manipulated into buying them all, although I think they're all got entertaining and usable sounds on them.

I just can't get behind a guitar that tries to sound like a keyboard any more than I can get behind a keyboard that tries to sound like a guitar. I'm not knocking it, it's just not my cup of tea.

Amen to that

Stuff that is stupid simple to play on a guitar (or bass) can be really tricky to play on a keyboard even with the best sample set, likewise, really simple keyboard just doesn't translate to a guitar very well.

For the price of the EHX pedal you can get a decent keyboard with a real synth engine that can do about 100x the sounds, with way better quality. The deepest of sub and moog basses, super fat evolving pads, leads etc etc.

Its kind of like how you can spend a fair sum of money to make your guitar sound kind of like a bass guitar, with some glitch tracking and artifacts, or for half the money, you can go get a Squier bass guitar, and have a wealth of real bass sounds. Does it look cooler somehow if your playing a guitar but it sounds like a bass ? Does playing a bass look uncool ? Just never really got the point of trying to make one isntrument do half as well something another instrument can already do.....

I settled on the C9 and love it.

I use either the John Lord sound or the Zep sound. Both are very musical for what I do.

I use them on about 4-5 songs a show. Sometimes just the intro or an instrumental section. All the way through on only one tune.

The polyphonic tracking is really good. Whatever algo they have to prevent typical guitar synth "glitching" is bloody brilliant.

Amen to that

Stuff that is stupid simple to play on a guitar (or bass) can be really tricky to play on a keyboard even with the best sample set, likewise, really simple keyboard just doesn't translate to a guitar very well.

For the price of the EHX pedal you can get a decent keyboard with a real synth engine that can do about 100x the sounds, with way better quality. The deepest of sub and moog basses, super fat evolving pads, leads etc etc.

Its kind of like how you can spend a fair sum of money to make your guitar sound kind of like a bass guitar, with some glitch tracking and artifacts, or for half the money, you can go get a Squier bass guitar, and have a wealth of real bass sounds. Does it look cooler somehow if your playing a guitar but it sounds like a bass ? Does playing a bass look uncool ? Just never really got the point of trying to make one isntrument do half as well something another instrument can already do.....

I do not agree. I can play stuff on the guitar, leads chords and rhythms, from flutes to synths, that I am not able to play with a keyboard. And it is ultra-fun!

Furthermore, Guitar Modelling is not only about Synths; there are also acoustic guitars, nylon, bass, steel, resonator, 12 string, archtop, banjo... all kind of string instruments from harp to a rickenbaker or a violin, pickups modelling, alternate tunings....

Note that I am not talking about guitar-to-midi conversion but about guitar modelling (known as V-guitar by Roland), that means perfect reproduction of all the performance nuances without any glitches or difficulties.

A small sample of what Guitar Modelling can do:

The Roland GP-10 and VG-99 require a hexaphonic pickup, but Electro Harmonix is demonstrating that today that could be possible using the normal pickups.

If the Axe-FX entered into that area (Guitar and Pickup Modelling with Fractal Audio supreme quality) it would be catapulted to another dimension. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom