Synth Problem

wake911

Experienced
So, I LOVE using the synth. I use Strings patches, Violin patches, cello patches, its fantastic. However, I just started to play in an all acoustic group...2 gtrs, bass, and 3 vocals.

I can't use my synth patches with the acoustic guitar. I think there are too many overtones on each note played that it causes the synth to jump too much.

I'm using a Taylor 314CE with Fishman Prefix Plus preamp built in.

Anyone have any tips? I don't want to lug my electric just to use the synth patches on 8-10 songs a night. I'm a relatively new "live acoustic player" so maybe i just need to be taught how to adjust my settings on my preamp to lose some overtones on these settings? I could easily put some marks on where it goes for "acoustic tones" and where it goes for "synth tones" if that would do it...

thanks for any insights you guys might have.

try running an amp before the synth. tame the lows and highs a lot to try and get a very compressed, pure tone feeding the synth

try running an amp before the synth. tame the lows and highs a lot to try and get a very compressed, pure tone feeding the synth

i'll have to try that tonight. I'm not so good at thinking outside the "standard" signal chain, so this made me think of a lot of different ideas to try. Thanks!

also try a drive block like the pi fuzz. less cpu intensive :)

the synths take their pitch information from the global input, but their envelope information from the block input. if you give them a nice compressed, steady, smooth signal, they like it much better!

I'd user a band-pass filter. Cut a lot of lows and highs.

Of course you have to mute your strings :)

One way that definitely works is to attach a GK-3 hex pickup to your acoustic, and use a synth such as the GR-30, GR-33 or GR-55. You can mix the GR-xx through the Axe-FX's using Input2, and either blend it with the guitar signal, or push it out to Output2.

i should be able to try an amp block, drive block or band pass filter to hopefully get a nice strong single signal to the front of the synth block and be good to go. Thanks for the ideas guys. I've never used filters of any kind so this could be a fun night tonight!!!

if you get a bit of false triggering, try lowering the level of the amp block, or decreasing the threshold of the input noise gate

Back
Top Bottom