Synth Block

bread

Power User
Is the synth block improved on the axe 3 please ?

I find it sounds great on my XL+ but very difficult to control.

Thanks in advance

Is the synth block improved on the axe 3 please ?

I find it sounds great on my XL+ but very difficult to control.

Thanks in advance
The pitch tracking works great for me on the Axe FX II when my preset is below 65 to 70% CPU. How much CPU are your presets using?

There is a lot of "chirping" sometimes if the strings are hit quite hard (even though I'm using a compressor) and also I find the tracking can be a little "off" sometimes.

Thanks

I see. I’ve used the synth block on both units and have had pretty good success with both of them. Not trying to talk you out of buying the III, but I don’t think I would make the synth block the reason for buying one. Plenty of other reasons!

You could try putting a high cut filter on the guitar signal before it hits the synth block. That might cut down on the chirping, which is probably caused from pick attack on the strings. Aside from that, in my experience the tracking is directly related to how much CPU is being used in the preset. The III would definitely give you more CPU headroom.

The Synth is very sensitive to monophonic input, so make sure you play as "clean" as possible. A Compressor before and/or after helps. Also, put a "RAT" drive block before the Synth to smoothen its sound.

I have found through many years of personal experience working with synths, that the less harmonic content the 'trigger' note contains going into the synth block, the less the probability that a note will be hard to read during pitch translation.

Rich harmonics at the synth's input forces the synth block to see the original note with it's accompanying sympathetic harmonics simultaneously (too many notes) which produces instability of a fixed note producing churps, glitches or note hopping for lack of a better term.. turning down the guitar's tone control minimizes harmonic content and can help with this somewhat...

Also, without compromise, precision picking and focused technique is an absolute necessity!

P.S. I have found that... Dialing back the guitar's tone control has proven to be beneficial in getting the pitch block to track and convert with more stably and helps with tuner stability as well.

I Hope this info helps you to achieve synergy!

Last edited:
“Chirping” in the Synth block is usually caused by accidentally playing two notes during the chirp. As @yek said, make sure you transition cleanly from one note to the next.

I have found through many years of personal experience working with synths, that the less harmonic content the 'trigger' note contains going into the synth block, the less the probability that a note will be hard to read during pitch translation.

Rich harmonics at the synth's input forces the synth block to see the original note with it's accompanying sympathetic harmonics simultaneously (too many notes) which produces instability of a fixed note producing churps, glitches or note hopping for lack of a better term.. turning down the guitar's tone control minimizes harmonic content and can help with this somewhat...

Also, without compromise, precision picking and focused technique is an absolute necessity!

P.S. I have found that... Dialing back the guitar's tone control has proven to be beneficial in getting the pitch block to track and convert with more stably and helps with tuner stability as well.

All this, plus try using your guitar’s neck pickup.

Back
Top Bottom