Synth block sounds better in Axe fx2

Furay

Hi there
I'm loving my Axe fx 3, but I struggle to find the same synth sounds I had on Axefx 2
With the same settings, it doesn't sound the same
Not exactly the same frequencies, and not the same attack, especially on the sawtooth type
Is there a chance to regain the same sound in a future firmware?

maybe the improved in/out frequency response, yields a comparatively brighter/crisper sound, than what you'd typically get from the II?

Ok I see, thanks for the quick answer!
I think it's not about the frequency response, but more about the internal volume in my units
As the amps blocks are a lot more loud in the Axe-fx 2, I don't have the same dry volume signal going through the 2 units.
I suppose that's why the synth block is not reacting exactly the same way

I think it's not about the frequency response, but more about the internal volume in my units
As the amps blocks are a lot more loud in the Axe-fx 2, I don't have the same dry volume signal going through the 2 units.
I suppose that's why the synth block is not reacting exactly the same way
Make sure Output Level is set to +4 dBu.

True, but it might make the apparent internal Amp block level louder...
I think what the OP was saying is that the balance between the Amp and Synth blocks (in parallel) is different between the Axe Fx II and III.

I remember reading recently that on the II, the Amp block handles a lot of the volume whereas on the III that is not the case.

This could be accounted for by adjusting block levels for both :)

I think what the OP was saying is that the balance between the Amp and Synth blocks (in parallel) is different between the Axe Fx II and III.

I remember reading recently that on the II, the Amp block handles a lot of the volume whereas on the III that is not the case.

This could be accounted for by adjusting block levels for both :)
I must've missed that post. I'm not sure what "handles a lot of the volume" means. 0 dB on the meter is still 0 dB, regardless of block type.

Mismatched levels when running in parallel is often the result of Bypass Mode choice.

Not exactly the same frequencies, and not the same attack

There is a frequency dial. Are you saying the wrong frequency comes out for the same setting on the dial?

Same for attack?

A volume leveled comparison clip might help.

I must've missed that post. I'm not sure what "handles a lot of the volume" means. 0 dB on the meter is still 0 dB, regardless of block type.

Mismatched levels when running in parallel is often the result of Bypass Mode choice.
The amp block on the Axe Fx II is where a lot of the level of a preset comes from.

An in -> out with no other blocks is very quiet.

Conversely on the III, an in -> out with nothing else is loud.

So running both the Amp and Synth in parallel, the "blend" of the two could be different.

Of course, I'm speculating a lot here as I don't have practical experience with doing this at the moment, so take that for as much as it's worth ;)

Reactions: Rex
Just like Unix-guy said, the signal without block is quiet on the axe fx 2
What I'm experiencing is not a difference due to blending with an amp in parallel
Here's a sample with just one synth block between in and out, with the exact same settings in the block:

Axe fx 2 first, then Axe fx 3
You can hear that the attack on the axe fx 2 is like a fast portamento whereas there's 2 notes on the attack on the axe fx 3

I've also have frequencies differences, that is better heard with and amp block behind the synth block

Probably just a sidenote...
IIRC, from my limited experience going through the presets and reading forum feedback, some synth or pitch shifter sounds on the Ultra were more fun to play than on the II? (faster/better tracking?). If that was indeed so, then even 0 to 2ms more latency in later units is creating that difference? — which sounds hard to believe. Anyway... this would only cover your attack issues, I guess. To push this as a potential reason, you'd have to prove the difference in latency between II and III, which is under 1ms or so? And maybe you could try if adding a 1ms delay in the II makes it sound like the III.

Last edited:
In that clip, the sound of the 3 reminds me of what occurs with modifiers with default exponential damping rather than linear damping.

Do you have modifiers on the Synth block parameters? That definitely doesn't seem right on the Axe Fx III.

The gate in the In block is off
I tried to change the Input1 A/D sensitivity, change the Input 1 gain, it doesn't change the sound

Yek, I can turn voice 2 and 3 on, but that won't solve my problem
I don't understand why the synth doesn't react the same if it's the same code

Probably just a sidenote...
IIRC from limited experience and forum feedback, some synth or pitch shifter sounds on the Ultra were more fun to play than on the II? (faster/better tracking?). If that was indeed so, then even 0 to 2ms more latency in later units is creating that difference? — which sounds hard to believe. Anyway... this would only cover your attack issues, I guess. To push this as a potential reason, you'd have to prove the difference in latency between II and III, which is under 1ms or so? And maybe you could try if adding a 1ms delay in the II makes it sound like the III.

I remember the Ultra having a really pleasing pitch shifting sound in some circumstances. Less accurate, sure...but the preset The Planets sounds way better on that than the III. I think the less powerful algorithms produced a duller sound which I actually prefer for that one instance. I might have to buy another Ultra one day to recreate it.

Back
Top Bottom