Wish Synth block: Replace the Hz by the matching notes (A1, A#1, B1..., A2, A#2, B2..., An, A#n, ...) + MIDI notes

psimon666

Hi,

a) For me, as a musician, i use notes. I never use Hz. Today, i always need a table to convert Notes to Hz to have a specific note with the Synth.
There could be a toggle button to choose between the two modes, but finally, is there a musician that is happier with Hz ?

b) To go a bit further: Once this point done, this block could then react to external Midi notes (from a DAW, a keyboard, an external hardware sequencer, or whatever), to directly play the synth at the right pitch. This would be a great feature (example: when using the Synth block with the Vocoder block)

Thanks in advance and Hi to all

Don’t you just leave it to default frequency and change the pitch/semi tone control?

The default value/frequency match no real note.
A "C" is 65.41 Hz (or 130.81 Hz, and so on...),
A "C#" is 69.30 Hz,
etc.
well, it's rarely simple to convert.
Shifting solves nothing of course : you always need a real note before shifting

Nevertheless, you never know where you are with frequencies (I think there is only a very few guys in the world who can convert frequencies to notes, just like this :) ).
In fact, i see no obvious process with frequencies. Engineers works with frequencies, yes. Musicians with notes, yes. Both are interesting, but it's not the same world.

Last edited:
I had a preset on my Ax8 that played 2 synth tones and getting the notes from Hz took some extra time to get it done via internet searches. This would be a nice quality of life change but I'm not sure if it would be implemented unless you could set a master table or something. Different people use different Hz for the same notes.

@creativespiral: Yes, i saw your reply, but you don't explain 'how', so it's not easy to see your working context.
But, well, both ways can co-exist, there is no problem. It's not a way against another.

i just remember that A is 440 and use the shift parameter up and down from there. need to go down an octave, it's 220, up an octave it's 880. i also use this if i need to - https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
nb - don't drag the shift parameter with the mouse in axe edit, because it's not quantised to exact pitches. you need to actually type in the value you want

On my modular synths I don’t have notes, and I don’t even have hertz (except for my ms20 which uses an odd hertz/octave scale) I have voltage, in the traditional CV gate system. I sequence with various amounts of control voltage, and often it’s an arbitrary knob movement and playing by ear. There is no midi etc.

to suggest “musicians” only use notes is kind of silly and short sighted. It’s not a bad suggest mind you, but using hertz, voltage and other systems are equally valid and still quite musical.

Back
Top Bottom