Synth block: reducing portamento

gdgross

Experienced
Hey guys, have been slowly experimenting with the synth block. I'd like to learn how to create synth sounds from scratch, so I'm starting simple: OD into a synth block (OD just to boost the level mainly I suppose to keep the synth sound consistent.)

One thing I notice right off the bat is that even with simple setups (two oscillators used only) my sounds seem to have a portamento or something separating the notes. There's this ramp to the next pitch rather than simply producing the next pitch instantly.

Is there any way to control this, either increase or decrease the "ramp?" I noticed in one of simeon's patches (the moog lead as I recall) there was an even more pronounced portamento.

Thanks!

Well, the Axe can't guess what note you're going to play. It needs to detect what it's supposed to put out of the synth block.

the portamento in my lead patch was supposed to be there....it was a feature of the patch :)

the synth can be a bit finicky - make sure you are sending it a nice strong (but not too strong) signal that's as close to a sine wave as you can get it. use a drive block in front with plenty of smooth sustain. i don't have problems with "unwanted" portamento, imo...

Thanks - I figured you did that on purpose, but I was curious how. And conversely, how I'd go about reducing it on my own patches. Sounds like that's a function of getting the right thing into the synth block for good pitch tracking.

the portamento in that patch was created by using the pitch modifier to trigger the synth, rather than the pitch detector on the input which would normally be the case. the pitch modifier is set up so it exactly tracks the incoming pitch info, but because it's a modifier, you can add "damping" which slows down the rate at which it moves from one pitch to the next....hence the portamento effect.

the synth block gets pitch info from the front input, but gets envelope info from the block input. if your pitch is a bit wobbly, make sure that you've got enough signal going into the front input - you should just tickle the red input meter when you hit a hard chord on your bridge pickup

Just when I think I'm getting to understand this stuff, a synth thread shows up to remind me I still don't know anything about signal processing....

thanks - I think i set up my input levels right but I'll doublecheck.

Interesting on the pitch modifier with the damping. I did notice that you added the modifier rather than the usual pitch+envelope input mode, but didn't dive in far enough to see the damping. :)

the pitch modifier is set up so it exactly tracks the incoming pitch info, but because it's a modifier, you can add "damping" which slows down the rate at which it moves from one pitch to the next

Genius :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom