Synth block - pink noise height loss

1vl

Today I tried to test the outputs of an Axe-Fx ii XL+ (Q8.02) with pink noise from the synth block
(as described by Cliff ~somewhere in a Yek wiki, AFAIR).

I made a new preset, just with synth block going straight to Out1. Out1 connected to DAW (RME fireface).
SYNTH:
Pink Noise, Track:Off, Voice Level:100%, Filter: 20000Hz, Q:0.500-10, Mix:100%, Level: 0dB
I tried different Q-settings for the filter with the same results.

--> Above 15kHz the curve goes down. Why?
A comparative testtone ('pinknoise' from audiocheck.net) sent through the rear input through a Preset with just shunts to the Output looks ~flat.
So my recording hardware (RME fireface) and the Axe-Fx seem to be allright.

Am I missing a setting? Can the filter be disengaged somehow? Or is this the way it works?
Any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• AxeSynth_WhiteNoise1.jpg
    AxeSynth_WhiteNoise1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 39
Even at 20000 Hz the filter will still effect the response. The filter cannot be disengaged.

Could an on off switch for the filters be implemented? I use the synth block a lot, it's one of my staples :)

@ralphonz: My understanding of the synth now is, that it is musically sounding - it's not mudding the low end and nobody will hardly hear the filter starting at 14kHz. But it should better not be used to measure the Outputs or your FRFR system. Below 80Hz and over 15kHz it is not flat.

I found another interesting detail while playing with external pink noise: The Ins and Outs of the Axe Fx XL+ sound all very well - what comes in, comes out. Only above ~7kHz the graph starts to look a little different. Theoretically it's best to use In2 and Out1 with my unit for recording to have it as flat as possible with all the "Air". I can achieve a little height loss when I use In1 with Out2.

Can anybody confirm this testing or is it just my machine?
AxeFx ii XL+ In-Out pink noise frequency test.jpg

Back
Top Bottom